PDA

View Full Version : exhaust manifold leak

Bob McIntosh
08-13-2005, 02:41
My 97 2500HD has developed an exhaust leak. I can only hear it when cornering or accelerating at full power. It appears to be the turbo side manifold where it bolts up to the head. Am I likely looking at buying a new manifold, or just remove and install a new gasket? Just wonering it this is a common problem. If I need a new manifold, is there an alternative to GM? I don't even want to ask the price at the dealer.

Thanks for any responses, Bob

waynep
08-13-2005, 04:45
Hello:

I had the same problem. Same side under the turbo. Cost less then $300 to replace the manifold gasket at a local dealer. I believe that not all engines had gaskets to begin with. They also replaced a stud that had broken off in the past.
Hope this helps. Wayne

tom.mcinerney
08-17-2005, 19:06
Bob--
I was quite dejected when, on initial startup following head replacement , i noticed exhaust leaking from a number of ports at head/manifold junction (no gasket). The leaks sealed themselves with carbon in short order.

Try manipulating a length of hose as a stethescope to narrow location. It might be a loose clamp on the downpipe at the turbo , a wrenchable fix. I believe there have been occassional reports of cracked downpipes (aftermarket??). There are doughnuts too, on utube.