PDA

View Full Version : Taller but narrower

Murf
07-06-2005, 14:42
I'm considering going with a 235 - 85R on a newer model GMC duramax. I used this tire size during the winter and liked it in a snow tread.

It has the same ratings as the 245 - 75.

Does anyone see a distinct disadvantage when I use this for towing during the summer - about a 9,500 lb trailer.

Thanks in advance -

Murf

MartyB
07-06-2005, 17:30
Other than your effective gear ratio goes from a 3.73 to about a 3.55, nothing major otherwise. You may find it a bit harder/stress full in steeper starts, ie above 15-10% grades.

TJ Moose
07-11-2005, 12:58
Don't know your size wheel - but I've run a 235/85 16" Toyo M-55 for 135,000 miles on my '95 3/4 ton Suburban now (first set 90,000 miles, second set in progress) and I love them. Since I want the rig to haul trailers and all, and am not worried about how much G-force I get on the skid pad (yeah, right) I've been very happy. The M-55's have a nice tread, are round, balance and roll good, and have an "E" rating (can air them up to 80 psi.) I had both sets siped, so they grab nice in all weather/road conditions. Maybe its just a difference of degree, but since the tires probbaly have a somewhat smaller contact patch, since they're taller and skinnier, I figure it means they put more weight per area down on the road - meaning they'll cut down through water or a lighter coating of snow better than otherwise. The higher air capacity also gives me more flexibility in adjusting air pressure for getting the ride I want out of whatever I'm hauling on the utility trailer.