PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Trucks 7-wire Trailer Connector on a 1999 Suburban 2500

TurboDiverArt
01-03-2004, 20:51
Hi all,

Here

tanker
01-04-2004, 03:05
Art, what I did was remove the left license plate light, then used a hole saw to enlarge the hole for the socket, drilled and tapped the bumper for the 4 mounting screws. Pulled the wires out through the hole, connected them to the socket, and screwed the socket to the bumper. Its out of the way, still have a license plate light. Never been questioned here in Pennsylvania for state inpection. ;)

MikeC
01-04-2004, 06:15
Tanker,

I was going to make a different suggestion but I like yours better.

I was just in the process of re-doing mine and I'm going to do it the way you did.

Thanks,

Mike

HowieE
01-04-2004, 06:59
Art
Check the 2nd. picture under Propane on my web site. I used Tanker idea for the connector installation.

TurboDiverArt
01-04-2004, 08:04
Good idea, thanks. I better do it when the wife isn't around. I think she'll freak if I take a hole saw to the truck.

Thanks again!
Art.

HowieE
01-04-2004, 14:12
You will have to use a small grinder and it will take a while so make sure she is going to a long movie.

tanker
01-05-2004, 02:05
To use a hole saw, to enlarge an existing hole, you need a piece of flat metal behind the existing hole, to center the pilot drill bit. A little tricky, but the results are neater, and faster than a grinder. Oh by the way, if you drill and tap the 4 holes for the mounting screws, 8-24 or 8-32 you wont need nuts and washers on the rear side. Try to get some stainless steel machine screws to avoid rust. Also coat the hole with a rust proof paint etc. so you won't have a rusty bumper next year or so. smile.gif

TurboDiverArt
01-05-2004, 18:40
Originally posted by tanker:
To use a hole saw, to enlarge an existing hole, you need a piece of flat metal behind the existing hole, to center the pilot drill bit. Yup, was planning this. I'm hoping that I can drill the pilot hole in a piece of 1/8" flat steel and hold it in place to the back of the bumper with large welding clamps. Since the bumper is on an angle where the license plate light hole is, I haven't figured out a better way to hold it to the back of the bumper. I'd tack weld it to the back but I'd think that the chrome would bubble from the heat, even at a low amp setting. Hoping big welding clamps can hold it in place.

Any better ideas to hold the steel to the back so it doesn't move while drilling?

Thanks,
Art.

tanker
01-06-2004, 02:57
Art, you could mark the small 4 holes for mounting the rept. in the bumper to say a size #10 screw, then use 4 #8 screws and nuts to hold the plate behind the bumper. I'd say maybe an 1/8"x3"x3" steelplate, and drill a pilot hole first, use a good hole saw made for steel, and use oil for lubrication and run it at a slow speed. ;)

TurboDiverArt
01-06-2004, 03:20
Originally posted by tanker:
Art, you could mark the small 4 holes for mounting the rept. in the bumper to say a size #10 screw, then use 4 #8 screws and nuts to hold the plate behind the bumper. I'd say maybe an 1/8"x3"x3" steelplate, and drill a pilot hole first, use a good hole saw made for steel, and use oil for lubrication and run it at a slow speed. ;) Ooooh, that's a good idea. See, the simplest ideas are always the best. Maybe its that I'll do just about anything if in involves using my welder... :)

Thanks, great idea!

MikeC
01-06-2004, 16:53
Ummmm Art . . . . . . . I've got some welding . . . . . . . . . and well . . . . . . . . it's only over here in Ohio, and um . . . . . . . . . . . . well . . . . . . . . . . . maybe you wouldn't come this far . . . . . . but maybe . . . . . . :D

Inspector
01-06-2004, 17:45
You can tack weld a piece of metal to the inside edge of the light hole. You will be discarding that part anyway. It shouldn't discolor the chrome at all.
Denny :D :D

TurboDiverArt
01-06-2004, 20:35
Originally posted by Inspector:
You can tack weld a piece of metal to the inside edge of the light hole. You will be discarding that part anyway. It shouldn't discolor the chrome at all.
Denny :D :D That's also a very good idea and I'd get to use my welder... :)

Thanks,
Art.

jjgmc96
01-07-2004, 08:16
i used a knock-out punch that was close to the same size. your electrician might have one you could use. no drilling or welding just a big cresent wrench.

ropinfool
01-09-2004, 12:40
If you don't want to cut the big hole, Draw-tite has a mounting box that mounts to the hitch itself. The plug faces the passenger side of the vehicle not straight out. I've installed several and have had good luck with them. But I also prefer the plug up in the bumper step, my new Dodge came from the factory with one there! Good luck. John