PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Cooler

Coketruck
05-15-2004, 01:25
What would be the best tranny cooler for an 88

tanker
05-15-2004, 03:47
I purchased mine from "BD" in Abbotsford, BC. Canada a number of years ago. It has a 12-volt fan, with built in thermostat, it came with everything needed to install. ie; bolts, wire, clamps, hose, and enough different size fittings to fit any application. The fan comes on about 180*-F and goes off about 170*-F. This will keep your transmission fluid cool, and extend the life of the transmission. Not sure, but I'm sure you could find one in Europe. They use these for cooling many hydraulic applications as well. Different sizes available. smile.gif

HowieE
05-15-2004, 10:19
My 97 is set up the same a "tankers", however on my 87 I had a Perm Cool cooler mounted forward of the condenser and removed the transmission cooling line from the radiator. You have lots of room to work with forward so use it. in the winter I covered the cooler with a canvas bag.

The best thing I ever did on any of my towing vehicals was to have the 700r4 set up to lock the convertor hydrolicly and remove all electrical input to the trans. Any good trans shop should know how to do this because it only requires putting a small rubber plug in the tcc selinoid line. This locks the convertor at about 35mph and realy drops the temperature.

Dieselboy
05-15-2004, 10:39
I used a B&M 24,000 GVW cooler. It has plenty of cooling capacity for the road, and so far I've been happy but I'm probably going to upgrade to the 28,000 unit with a fan since it tends to heat up on the trail.

Coketruck
05-15-2004, 13:34
Thanks for the replys,i,ll try to get a perma cool.I would like to mount a fan for this t-cooler,but i don,t know if i,m going to have enough room for the fan between the T-cooler and the grille.My truck has A/C.

About the torque convertor locking...Each time i hear this i don,t kno what it means.
In olders trucks than mine,the torque convertor works with the trottle position sensor or so,but mine has not wiring from the TPS to the tranny...
I really don,t know how the T-convertor on my tranny works.

Thanks. ;)

tanker
05-16-2004, 04:13
I mounted my transmission fan cooler under the floor behind the driver seat. Fan blows downward, plenty of room. smile.gif