PDA

View Full Version : Towing w/o Overdrive???

keywest
01-04-2004, 08:33
Happy Holidays,

I have a towing question boys......
Do any of you Tow w/o Tow/Haul???

I will be pulling a 6500 - 7000 lb.travel trailer loaded...That will be full weight with occupants, dog, food, fuel, etc.

My question is with the Allison Transmission do I have to go to Tow/haul mode or can I just tow in (D), Drive????

Will any harm come to the Allison? I'm talking relatively mild towing ground, fairly flat w/ few hills.

Would it be searching for lower gears all the time or would it act ok & not overheat etc????

Only got 350 miles on it now & too cold up here anyway to play, so I'm looking for advice.
Thanks, Paul

2004, 2500HD, CC, D/A,4x4

More Power
01-04-2004, 21:12
There are a few instances when towing in Tow/haul would provide some benefit when towing a 7K trailer, but generally you don't need to unless your combined weight is above 16,500-lbs (75% of GCVWR).

Situations when Tow/Haul would help is if the trans temp exceeds 210 or thereabouts, or to reduce shift busyness when in rolling country.

Tow/Haul locks the torque converter in 2-5 gears, which reduces ATF temps, and it forces the transmission to hold gears longer (reduces shift busyness).

MP

USA-1
01-04-2004, 21:50
Keywest, I don`t know if it will hurt your Allison.I pull the same weight in tow haul O D.When I pull with out tow haul the transmission shifts in and out too much on grades. It just pulls better for me in tow haul.When I tap the brake pedal the Allison will downshift just like a standard shift.
You should have a video tape that came with your truck, check it out.

Rockin
01-05-2004, 08:26
Originally posted by USA-1:
Keywest, You should have a video tape that came with your truck, check it out. Hmm. I didn't get a video. There was one and it is worth seeing?

keywest
01-06-2004, 20:15
USA 1,

Video Tape ????
:eek: :confused: I did'nt get one with mine......

Thanks guys, I'm "learnin",.....

Thanks, Paul smile.gif

USA-1
01-06-2004, 21:25
Keywest,
The video tape on the Allison was in the glove box of my 02 and my 03.I took a look at it last night. It didn't address towing, but it did have some good info on it.