PDA

View Full Version : CDL Interstate towing clarification??

bshuberg
01-05-2004, 19:27
My MN CDL manual says no CDL needed for trailer over 10K lbs with GCVW less than 26K.

Not for hire just my own stuff.

12K trailer + 12K C3500 = no CDL anywhere in the lower 48? Right?
:mad:

a5150nut
01-05-2004, 19:58
California says,

Class A Noncomercial
Trailers over 10,000 GVWR or 5th wheel over 15,000 GVWR when not used for hire (pay or other compesation)

My guess would be a class C would cover everything under that in California.

tanker
01-06-2004, 02:47
All CDL license's are the same, thats why they came out with it years back. They all have the same classes, depending on what the individual driver is qualified for. IE: class A, plus endorcements, IE: P-passenger, T-double/tripple trailers, X-tank/hazmat. Way back when, many truck drivers held several drivers license's in different states. Why? So if they got stopped in one state they would give the officer a different license, and not get points on their license. Now its one for all, and all states work together on this.
It does bug me that anyone (non-CDL)can rent a 26' Ryder/U-Haul truck, hitch up a car or trailer on the rear, and drive cross country, and not stop at (most) weigh stations, no requirement on hours driving (no log book), and not have any experience on driving something that big. We have all seen these weaving down the road :eek: changing lanes without signals etc. Don't get me wrong, many can handle this, and do so safely, but there are some that shouldn't. Most people that drive big RV's do well, because "most" would not buy a big expensive rig if they couldn't handle it, its their investment and they care about it. Just my opinions. ;)

Tractor
01-06-2004, 18:20
10-4 TANKER. I also see that. That does trip my breaker a bit...
TRACTOR

a5150nut
01-07-2004, 07:18
I think RV.net has a link or resource to state regs including carring a weapon within.

And Yes "Beware of the Yankee in the U-Haul". I love the ones who figrue ther are two of us in here. I can run in the commutter lane!

What ever happened to the dimming of lites to signal All Clear? Damn liability thing I guess....

tanker
01-07-2004, 16:17
It is a violation to signal your lights in most states, but not well enforced. The new hours of service has stirred some ruckess among the truckers. Our neighbors up North can drive 13 hours, then sleep 8. Now we can drive 11 hours, but must sleep 10. :rolleyes: Time will tell.

HDMXDiesel0817
01-08-2004, 12:20
bshuberg,

You're good to go in NY without the CDL. As far as I can remember from the manual...I'll dig it up and see.

Tanker,

I totally agree with you on the U-haul guys. I see them all over I81, of course a lot of them are in the break down lane :D with their 4 ways on...most of the time they aren't on though. Even when traveling and doing more than 10 under the limit. How about this one though; The buses, you know the big charter ones? What's up with doing 75+mph and not having them stop at weigh stations, those guys bug me sometimes, they're always running with a few lights out. Granted there are times I'd like to go that fast however I'm governed at 65 now...Can't run with the big boys anymore. :( Doesn't make that much of a difference anyways, as to what time I get there. I get there safe and sound and that's what matters.

And as for the new regs, they aren't all that bad...lots of sleep now, woohoo! If it wasn't the 14th consecutive hour it would be alright, but it's hard to get tired after 14 hrs straight of hoping in and out of the truck and trailer. I'm used to that. The only route of mine that there is an issue with is my SE PA route, but that's my dispatchers problem not mine. My other route runs like a champ, can't make it to my drop up north on mondays anymore...dang it.

Even though you were giving an example you missed an edorsement ;) there Tanker, S I believe is the towing one in NY. Unlike PA we get to tow the rig with the trailer. hehe

a5150nut,
Dimming the lights? You mean flashing to let someone know it's all clear to get over? I didn't realize that that was not legal... I knew of the 4ways being on in VA, I know they (troopers) don't like you doing that. I figured the flashing lights was just a professional courtesy and I won't flash them unless there isn't anything in front of me.

Jelisfc
01-09-2004, 06:42
bshuberg, I'd keep an eye out for a MN Commercial Enforcement Trooper. They usually have Astro vans or Ford Pickups. They should be able to give a definate answer for MN. As for whether you need to cross scales that's a state by state thing.

Just remember CDL is federal and vehicle laws are state.

GBurton
01-16-2004, 21:56
a5150nut and others in California
A bit off the CDL topic but I did A bit of research on the California DMV web site and came up with this information concerning the Class C license

FisHn2DMax
01-16-2004, 22:46
George That's good information and just more validation I did the right thing in getting out of "Kaliphonia".

I tow a 30' 5'er and 18' boat with no ( law)problems out here in the Mountain states. However, there may still be some hope for CA? Arnold "The Terminator" may termonate thez zilly AZZed lawz? Given his love of Hummers,( big vehicles) LoL there could still be some hope for CA guys with lots of toys? :D

DmaxMaverick
01-17-2004, 14:18
In California (however you spell it), an out-of-state license is accepted for what it is, allowing you to drive, pull, whatever, that is legal in the state that it was issued. As long as the CA regulations are followed. Triples are not allowed, and more than one pull trailer is not allowed. You can pull doubles, but you need a CDL, the first trailer has to be a fifth wheel, and you have to maintain the weight requirements of all vehicles/trailers involved. If you have a gooseneck hitch that has an adapter to use a fifth wheel trailer, it is considered a gooseneck. Goosenecks follow the same rules as pull trailers.

If you are licensed in CA, towing a trailer over 10K reqires an additional endorsement. RV's are not required to cross the scales, but can be stopped by the commercial patrol at any time to be checked for weight and safety (rarely). If you are inspected, you will get a window sticker, valid for 1/4 year, and should prevent any routine stops during that time. Although they can stop you, it is very rare. There are plenty of white-knuckled Uhaul drivers that keep them busy.

bshuberg

The only problem I see with your situation may be your GCWR. 12K + 12K = 24K. GCWR for the 3500 is 22K. Most states will have a problem with that.

Cheers

bshuberg
01-17-2004, 17:44
The license tabs are 12K each. Same as GVW.

The trailer rating in the glove box = 13,500 It's a C3500 6.5 cab chassis dually with a 4 yard dump box & a frame hitch. Next time in the barn I'll check the GCVW. I did ask a commercial enforcement officer & he had no issue under 26K GVW's. No CDL required. Local in Northern MN they allow 10% overweight after the ground freezes late Dec through early Mar-Apr. Then during the thaw through mid May the county highways have 10K limits.

Craig M
01-23-2004, 16:58
If in California one thing to remember is air brakes. If your vehicle has air brakes you need a CDL with an air brake endorsement. Not sure if this applies to the big RV's, but it does apply to trucks that are under the weight requirement, but have air brakes.

FarmerDale
02-02-2004, 19:15
bshuberg

Better double check what the road restrictions are in the springtime here in MN. While many State highways are 9 or 10 T roads, the county roads get more restrictive. I live on a paved road that is posted at 7 tons, but when the original asphalt layer was in need of resurfacing, it was a 5 ton road. Also, all gravel roads are 4 ton roads. These restrictions are on a per axle basis, and the DOT has portable scales available to test your vehicle by the axle.

I know of semi drivers who have been way overweight, to the tune of a dollar a pound.

bshuberg
02-03-2004, 09:15
Thanks for the tips.

I have access to a major 4 lane by luck, other access is a county restricted weight posted in the Spring. I'm thinking about relicensing 1 ton & trailer vehicles as farm instead of commercial since it's for the farm & I don't haul for hire.

Feb tabs.

Also need to add a USDOT # on the doors. Is there a size minimum for the numbers? I hate to mar that shiny red paint.