PDA

View Full Version : Another Trailer Tire Question

TJ Moose
07-19-2005, 09:16
I bought a used utility trailer for cheap (18' flatbed tandem), and 2 of the tires on it are various and sundry used auto tires. Not even the same sizes, I'm ashamed to say, but you know how $$ (or lack thereof) dictate some choices - including getting matching tires. The other 2 tires are trailer tires, which of course say "for towing use only." I understand the optimum scenario is to have tires of matched size and construction. BUT - the real question - what is the difference between regular auto/truck use tires and trailer tires? (I most generally tow a trail Jeep that weighs in at about 5000 lb.) Is it a problem using auto tires on a trailer, as long as weight ratings/air pressure considerations are properly observed and maintained? (As they say - enquiring minds want to know.....) Thanks in advance for any info.

rjschoolcraft
07-21-2005, 04:47
The mismatched sizes will cause one tire to be overloaded while the other is underloaded. It will be tough to stay within the weight ratings for the auto tires...

When I first bought my utility trailer seven years ago, it had auto tires all the way around. Like you, I didn't want to change them for cost reasons. After two blow outs at highway speed... I bought new trailer tires with the appropriate weight rating all the way around (even the spare).

P.S. I actually ran with used truck tires of appropriate weight rating at first. However, the minimal tread depth made them magnets for screws and nails. Couldn't keep air in them.

DennisG01
07-22-2005, 14:35
Trailer tires have stiffer sidewalls and the tread is "stronger" to deal with the scuffing it will encounter during tight turning. Using a car tire is asking for trouble - the tire may all of a sudden blow out or the tread may even seperate and come off!

moondoggie
07-22-2005, 15:15
Good Day!

RJ: Were the trailer tires rated any differently for weight than the auto tires that failed?

I was told by a tire dealer that the only difference between car tires & trailer tires was they added something to trailer tires so they don