PDA

View Full Version : Banks Exhaust Brake

conway
01-14-2005, 13:06
I had my local dealer install the banks exhaust brake and sst exhaust system on a '03 Duramax/Ali. After installation, with the exhaust brake on, and towing a 5 ton trailer on level ground for about 15 miles at a steady speed of about 50 mph, I hit a stop sign and then when starting to roll again, I could not get over 20 mph. Black smoke was coming out ot the exhaust, egt was hitting 1200 and turbo boost gauge was non-responsive. Took it back to the dealer and after several visits, the dealer after discussion with Banks changed the exhust brake. Banks stated that they had problems with machining the exhaust brake and it was felt that it was not opening and therefore not exhausting properly. The turbo gauge was not registering because the tube to the gauge had melted. Dealer cchanged and re-routed the tube. With new exhaust brake installed, I have just towed under the same conditions. The same result. Has anyone had this problem? Do you know what I should be looking for? I have three options. 1) Trying to figure out what is wrong (ergo; I am posting this ). 2) Trying to get Banks to refund my money or 3) just not using the exhaust brake and kiss my money goodbye. I do not have a problem with the truck when towing when I do not use the exhaust brake, other than not having the benefit of the braking system. Any suggestions?

MIKE WIENER
01-14-2005, 18:11
I would give banks a call at there tech number. It almost sounds like some thing is not gitting instaled properly. Maybe one of the the wirers has been conected in the wrong place. I have the banks SS ex and brake on my 2001 ccdrw and have had no problumes what so ever.
Is your brake working when you start the truck. It sould close at start up and stay on while the truck is idealing and go off at 125 dagrease or the hit of the throtel. Keep us posted

MIKE

trout49
01-14-2005, 18:50
conway

I had the exact same problem with my Banks exhaust brake.. It would stick shut and I would have no power and talk about black smoke!!!! It IS a bad actuator on the exhaust brake. Banks knows about the problem. Mine now has the third actuator installed and has worked well now for about a year. The first TWO were bad. Call Banks and they should take care of it.
DON'T use it to tow until you are sure it is fixed. You might be OK going down the mountain,, but you might not get up the other side if it sticks again!
I had to crawl under the truck with a hammer and beat the butterfly open.

tanker
01-15-2005, 03:17
I have been using a "BD" exhaust brake on my suburban for over 5 years and never had a problem, never needed any type of lubrication, or adjustments. Worked flawless. Seems strange that a well known company like Banks would have an issue so soon. Hope all works out. smile.gif

David Utz
01-15-2005, 15:36
BD has some "issues" to work out. I don't have one but I have heard of others having the same problem. I can't say how common the problem is but you are not alone. I would give them ine more chance but insist on a new unit fresh from BD. If they had a run of bad products and the dealer puchased several at the same time, they all may be bad. Talk to BD and see if they have identified and solved the problem. If they can't tell you they found and fixed it, ask for your money back.

tpitt
01-15-2005, 20:05
David,
I'm confused. What problems are BD having? BD makes the best brake in the industry. I'm having a problem with a few of them, I've installed on LLY'S, but it is an EGR problem and they're working on it. I've installed over 50 BD brakes, and have only had a few minor glitchs, but not with the brake itself. tpitt
P.S. Conway was talking about a Banks brake.

David Utz
01-16-2005, 13:14
Tripp,
No, you are not confused. I'm the one that was confused. Replace BD with Banks. My applologies to BD. Thanks for cathcing my error.

BozDMAX
01-17-2005, 11:01
I had the same experience as Trout49 - a sticking actuator rod on the actuator that controls the valve itself. Banks sent out a new actuator and everything was fixed. I even had my 13 year-old crawl under the truck to replace the thing (and he did a good job).

I will say that the first tech I got a hold of at Banks didn't have a clue. The second fellow really knew his stuff and suggested it was either the actuator or the relay in the airbox assembly (under the air cleaner) that send the pressure to the actuator itself.

conway
01-18-2005, 12:32
Trout 49 & BozDMax:
I appreciate the prompt help. I have spoken to Banks and they are now suggesting that it is either the actuator rod or an air solenoid (ie.e relay in the air box assembly). Once I test the air solenoid, I will be able to determine the "fix".

Mahalo,

BozDMAX
01-19-2005, 05:33
Conway, I found it easier to trouble shoot the actuator than to get to the solenoid. The access is so much better to the actuator.

1. Drive along in an remote (flat) area until the problem occurs and pull off the side of the road into a safe area.

2. Climb underneath with a lever of some sort( I used a hammer handle).

3. Disconnect the air supply line (I think it is the front one).

4. If the actuator slips back open, then the problem is probably the solenoid sticking.

5. More likely, the rod will NOT move. Take your lever and shove the thing open and you will immediately notice the difference in the exhaust note. Get back into the cab and turn off your exhaust brake, then reconnect the line, drive home and call Banks for a replacement actuator assembly.

I do not habitually drive with the brake "on", but knew I was having a problem and decided to turn it on as I was pulling into a Flying J for fuel. When it stuck, I did all the troubleshooting in the Flying J parking lot while waiting for the line to clear to the pumps.

And watch out for that hot exhaust system :eek:

Hoghunter
02-15-2005, 08:13
For what it's worth, I don't think Banks has resovled the problem. I called there last week to order the exhaust brake for my Dually and was told they were working on it and should have it out before long. Now reading all this it makes me think there's a system wide problem with the brake. Sounds like I need to look into BD.

BozDMAX
02-15-2005, 09:06
Hoghunter - I wouldn't give up too easily on the Banks system. I would guess that BD also makes a good brake, but suggest you do a search on them on the site here and then ask if anyone with a BD Brake has had any problems. This is the only problem I have had, or heard anyone else having with Banks. And the fix was much easier than it sounds.

Overall, the Banks support was excellent and I would buy the thing again in a heartbeat - even knowing the possible drawback.

I don't know if BD makes anything equivalent to the Stinger or Six-gun packages, but if you are looking to add a chip to your truck for some extra power, nice to have one that integrates with your brake.

My $0.02 and worth every penny...

Hoghunter
02-17-2005, 07:58
Boz, thanks for the input. I will certainly look at them all carefully before I decide. I'm still in the processing stage of what to do with the truck. Sounds like mine is similar to yours. I got the K3500 DRW and really like it so far. I'm putting an MBRP exhaust and AFE intake system on it this weekend. The exhaust brake will be a while out. Now that I think more about it maybe Banks meant that they didn't have the brake out yet for the 05 model. I don't know.