PDA

View Full Version : What type and brand of fluid to use for front-differential?

bdv
06-29-2005, 13:34
I am replacing the front differential seals on the 4x4 drive, and will need to replace the fluid. What type should I put back in? Any suggestion on the brand? Have previous post suggesting Royal Purple multi-vis 85 weight. It sounds good to me, but as always what to check with guys first.

Thanks for the help Brent.

DmaxMaverick
06-29-2005, 20:37
Royal Purple is good stuff. Personally, I use Amsoil lube, 75/90 synthetic in all my diff's, unless they have limited slip. Mobil 1 is also good gear lube.

You started talking about synthetics, so I went with it. If synthetics aren't your game, just about any name brand will have a good 85/90 GL-5 lube. I use Sta-Lube 85/90 GL-5 in my limited slip rear ends with the GM LS additive. My '85 Blazer is the only one I have left using it. The rest all have lockers or open diff's.

You may consider staying on the synthetic path, living in the Chicago area. It gets pretty cold up there in the winter. Synthetics have shown a definate advantage under those conditions, and GM now recommends 75/90 synthetic in the newer front ends when it gets really cold.

Check with TDP advertisers in regards to your lube needs. Many of them offer excellent advice and products that are proven up to the task.

JohnC
06-30-2005, 06:21
I buy 80W-90 in 5 gallon pails from Agway for the tractor...