PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Class Rating Of Factory Hitch

BOCOMO
01-16-2005, 21:43
I have 2004, X-Cab, 2500HD, Duramax 6-1/2' bed with the Factory Towing Package. I would like to know the Classification of the Factory 2" receiver hitch. Also, the maximum togue weight for a fully loaded boat and trailer that I can put on the factory reciver hitch. Thank you for your replies!

dcalex
01-24-2005, 17:26
The 2005's equiped like yours have a max trailer weight of 12,000 #'s...(22,000 GCVW) they don't say anything about the tongue weight. That 12,000 lbs puts it in the class IV category however. The class IV's have a max of 1,200 lbs tongue weight or 1,400 lbs with a weight distribution hitch. I do know that the new hitches are not as beefy as my nephews '01, but that doesn't mean that their not rated the same. That said, when my new truck comes in, the hitch is gonna get tossed and a better one put on.
I know this didn't answer your question directly, but it looks like no one knows the exact answer.

More Power
01-26-2005, 19:22
The owner's manual states: "Weight-distributing hitch tongue weight 10% to 15% of trailer weight, 1200-lb max." "Weight-distributing hitch rating is limited to 12,000 lbs."

MP

tanker
01-27-2005, 01:32
The platform hitch (receiver) that GM installs on their trucks at the factory has the following ratings; 7500lbs (weight carrying) w/1000lbs tongue weight.
12000lbs (weight distributing) w/1500lbs tongue weight.
Your truck w/this hitch is rated at 12000lbs Maximum trailer weight.
My trailer is real close to the 12,000lb rating, so I went with a Reese Class-V #45015 platform hitch. It has a 2-1/2" square receiver box, with a 3-1/2" square cross tube.
The ratings on this are 12,000lbs (weight carrying) w/1200lbs tongue weight.
14000lbs (weight distributing) w/1700lbs tongue weight.
Again it comes down to the weakest link in the chain. smile.gif

crafty
01-27-2005, 08:34
Okay, so based on the numbers for the factory hitch, I have a question. The trailer I pull weighs 3500 lbs empty and has a tongue weight of 760 lbs. (based on weights obtained last fall on a Trucking co. scale) When loaded the trailer weighs 9520 lbs with a tongue weight of 1660 lbs.
When I pull the trailer I don't use weight distribution bars and I have NO trouble with sway or fishtailing.
Am I running a risk of overloading the hitch or being "fined" by the MTO doing it this way? The guy who owns the trailer doesn't have bars for his truck either.
I am looking for a gooseneck trailer to buy and I need a good excuse to tell my wife to justify the purchase. If it isn't really safe to continue using the bumper pull one I just may be able to win her over.
Opinions please.!!!! :D :D :D

dcalex
01-27-2005, 15:34
Crafty:
Well, it looks like from Tankers numbers that your heavy on tongue weight (Assuming you have the same hitch). Remember, we're not talking about the capacity of the truck, but that of the hitch as well as the correct ratio of total trailer weight to that of the tongue weight. You can get away with a lot of things but when you get in a jamb or when the road takes a side sway and all of a sudden the trailer takes on a mind of it's own and the trucks capacity to correct or hold it has been taken away.....well, thats what makes statistics. None of this is black & white even though you find some folks trying to make it that way. All kinds of things effect the proper loading ratio. Tongue weight, total trailer weight, distance to the trailer axle, etc. A light short trailer can be a lot more squirrely than a heavy long trailer, etc. No one can argue against the fact that a 5th wheel/pin trailer is more stable than a tongue trailer, but tongue trailers can be very safe when used with a good dose of common sense and general guidelines found just about anywhere. I've used them both. I'm a lot more relaxed with a 5th, but dodn't hesitate to use a tongue trailer either.

tanker
01-28-2005, 18:11
Crafty, First I think you should adjust the load to take some weight off the tongue, I don't recall what you are hauling. Second I would invest in a set of weight distributing bars, as mentioned above all may be ok until you must make an evasive manuver on the highway, then things get serious real quick. Try to balance your load properly, a few inches may do the trick. The weight distributing hitches transfer weight off the rear axle to the front axle, making the tow vehicle and the trailer as one unit. smile.gif