PDA

View Full Version : Air bags or air hitch?

cmadmaxman
01-13-2004, 06:51
I would like to know from you that have an air ride hitch on their 5th or Goose, do you or would you need the air ride for the truck as well? I'm looking to put an air ride hitch on my Goose that I want to make, and just want some input on this.

You can put the air ride on the truck much cheeper than the hitch, but would both be a waste or better?

Thanks for any input y'all!

<><

arveetek
01-13-2004, 09:35
Generally speaking, air-ride suspension on the truck is more for ride quality of the passengers while air-ride on the hitch is more for protection of the trailer. A really stiff spring-ride truck can do some damage to the trailer it's towing over rough roads.

My dad is building his own RV hauler, and after towing his fifth-wheel with a spring-ride International heavy duty, and after having resulting damage on his fifth-wheel, he's decided to go air ride all the way. He's built his own air-ride suspension for his truck, and is now building his own air-ride pin box for his fifth-wheel.

A lot of the medium duty trucks designed for hauling RV's have air-ride suspension, and air-ride hitches. In fact, one of the hitches is called a 'Trailer Saver.'

It all comes down to what is you want to do: get a better ride, or protect the trailer. Of course, both systems together will give you the best of everything.

Casey

cmadmaxman
01-20-2004, 12:36
Thanks Casey for the input. Very good points.

<><

arveetek
01-21-2004, 09:33
My dad's project just got easier. He purchased a like new TrailAir air-ride pin box off ebay. He was going to build one from scratch, but this will be a whole lot easier. Only $150, vs. nearly $1000 retail for a new box.

Gotta love that ebay! Luckily this pin box was in Wichita, KS. Not too far from here for a good day's drive.

Casey