PDA

View Full Version : Slide in Campers...

Yurthouse
01-21-2005, 08:29
Hello... have a '04 3500 SRW Duramax with that wonderful Allison trans. and was wondering if anyone would like to share an experience with setting up this rig for a 2500 to 3500 lb. camper... I am considering a Lance that would fit nicely into the 8' bed... but the dealer wants to install airbags and shocks (Ranchos) along with the necessary tie-downs... sounds necessary and certianly safer, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced setting up their truck for just such an occurance? Thanks for any imput from the members....

rjwest
01-21-2005, 13:55
Airbags are nice to level truck and smoother ride.

Down side, when bags are aired up to level truck, overload springs are not compressed, this allows more " sway" than if weight has compressed
springs, My 96 did not have a sway bar, had to add one,

You may want to check around for more info before
having dealer install . Try the RV sites

http://rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/listings/forum/27/days/14/srt/lp/page/3.cfm

ochster
01-21-2005, 14:30
The higher center of gravity with campers gives the weight more leverage over the suspension. Its been my experience that the overloads (oem style) do not offer a firm enough feel, and airbags bring a more stable ride.

rjwest
01-22-2005, 05:53
I like the air bags, but with 3000lbs, and 60 psi
in air bags (truck level) the overloads where not compressed and the springs still had considerable " u ".
This agravated the high center of gravity.
IE sway bars needed.

Without air bags the truck road nose high,
Had wheel hop and tire wear. Once truck was leveled, Front rides as if empty ( weight same on front wheels, empty or loaded ) and tires wearing exceptionaly good, " NO Scalloping " after 40k miles...( I believe the torsion bar suspension has
a " sweet spot " where the ride and tire wear are
are at there best )

Not a P****g contest, Just my experience with my truck. I believe ALL trucks react different to load. Takes some time to sort out what is best for each application.

In my case( 96 chev dually ) it was the airbags with a sway bar, 60 psi puts truck just on the helpers and provides plenty of spring travel for bumps. It is (my perception ) that this configuation gives me the best ride and handling for my application..

That is why I suggested the RV forums to see what others have experienced on that particular make,model, year,load ,etc.

CareyWeber
01-22-2005, 18:00
Originally posted by Yurthouse:
Hello... have a '04 3500 SRW Duramax with that wonderful Allison trans. and was wondering if anyone would like to share an experience with setting up this rig for a 2500 to 3500 lb. camper... I am considering a Lance that would fit nicely into the 8' bed... but the dealer wants to install airbags and shocks (Ranchos) along with the necessary tie-downs... sounds necessary and certianly safer, but was wondering if anyone else has experienced setting up their truck for just such an occurance? Thanks for any imput from the members.... Yurthouse,

I have a Lance 9.5' camper that I haul on my 97 CC SRW GMC. The 97's SRW trucks did not have the factory overload leaf (only the duallies did then). I hauled mine Lance without overloads and then I got a set of the factory overloads. I think the overloads helped me. IIRC the 04/05 SRW 3500's have the overload (maybe only one and IIRC the duallies have two). I don't think you'll need them.

This is what I would do I would haul it with the stock springs for a trip or two, and then make your own call on the air bags. RV dealer tend to want to sell as many extras as possible when they do a sale (Sales is how they make a living). They wanted me to buy a Reese 2.5" hitch when I bought my camper, and told me the normal 2" hitch would break right away from towing with a hitch extension (my 2" has made a 6K mile, a 3K mile and a 1K mile towing trips with out a problem).

Carey

ochster
01-23-2005, 09:39
No doubt about the benifits to a sway bar.

tanker
01-23-2005, 15:36
I would go with air bag aux suspension, however add a 12-Volt air compressor with an air tank, and a leveling valve just like on the big rigs, that way it adds air only as you load your truck, like fresh water, holding tank storage, or supplies that way your truck remains level at all loads, you will never need to add air, or let it out. Also your head lights will always be aimed properly. May cost you a little more $$ but in the long run you will be happy with the ride. ;)

Yurthouse
01-24-2005, 06:23
Thanks guys for your imput... the link to RV.Net was a gold mine of info! Appreciate all your comments on the subject... this is a great forum!

Jim H.
01-24-2005, 19:09
I used to carry a big 11.5 ft. that weighed in at an estimated 3000 lbs using an F-350 dually. I put air bags on, individually inflated and it made a tremendous difference. I didn't notice any more sway but the ride and handling was greatly improved, however the truck came with a sway bar. One thing mine did was bounce off the overload springs when I hit a big bump. If I ever go back to a big camper I would use them again.

CareyWeber
01-25-2005, 14:56
Originally posted by Jim H.:
I used to carry a big 11.5 ft. that weighed in at an estimated 3000 lbs using an F-350 dually.Jim,

I have weighed my 9.5' Lance many times and it has never weighed less than 3000 lbs going down the road even though the decal says it weighs 2400lbs.

I'd like to try the air bags, but they are $$$.

Carey

tmactruck
01-28-2005, 22:58
I purchased a Lance Lite 1025 this last year. I had the dealer install air bags. I also bought a pair of Hellwig helper springs (2500lbs) After I installed the helper springs the truck rode noticeably better. I also tow a ski boat with no problems.

Jim Brzozowski
02-07-2005, 09:44
I've been thinking about a slide-in for my 02 short bed. Only a couple traveling, so do you think the slide-in is a better all around deal than towing say a fairly short 5th wheel? Still trying to consider all the facts before going to talk to a dealer, don't want to be sold something I don't know something about.

rjwest
02-07-2005, 13:03
If you like to travel, Like to go where most do not.. and wife is comfortable with less
and you can get use to being REAL close for awhile.

Truck camper is it.

Went out west for 6 weeks, did all the National forest camp grounds, WAY back roads, etc.
and, Glacier Park let us drive through.
( 20 foot length and Height restricted ). Not many class " c", no trailers and no Class "a" ,s allowed...
over the mountain pass.

Fantastic Ride....