PDA

View Full Version : nv4500 tranny swap

odee
01-15-2004, 16:35
I think I had posted this awhile back but I can't find it. I want to swap a nv4500 into my dually when I swap a 6.2 or 6.5 in it before spring. I have found a tranny at a decent price. I was told that the 85 and up hyd. clutch bellhousing should work for me. My big concern is what to do for the speedometer drive. My setup uses a cable driven speedometer. Can any of you fellas offer any advice on this. thanks

urcndust
01-15-2004, 18:56
As you can see by my signature, I've put an NV 4500 in my 83. I don't have the information in front of me, but a unit called Cable X converts the signal from the sensor in the transmission drives a small motor which in turn spins the cable to the speedometer. It's a rather neet unit, completely programable for tire size. Cost a few years back was over 200.00. Give me some time, and I'll dig up the information and get back to you.

odee
01-16-2004, 04:37
thanks. I was hoping your would answer. What bellhousing did you go with? I have a hyd. one for a 85 model that I was told will work. So does the tranny work out well for you?

urcndust
01-16-2004, 05:54
The transmission works out really well and the truck has 4:10 rear gears, so creeper is running 5mph at 2000 rpm's and 5th is running 2400 rpm's at about 70mph. Great for climbing up the side of buildings or pulling tree stumps. :eek: I pull a 5th wheel with a boat. Works the heck out of that 6.2, thats why I went with the dmax. I bought a bellhousing for a 91 6.5 and plummed in all the hydraulics for the clutch. I couldn't find any information on the swap when I did it, so it was fly by the seat of the pants.
If you haven't purchased the transmission yet, try to find one for the Dodge. I'm told the input shaft is 1/2" longer, then you can purchase an adapter form Advanced Adapters and bolt directly to your present bell housing. If you use the GM NV 4500 with an adapter, the innput shaft will not fit into the pilot bushing in the flywheel and eventually destroy the transmission.
I'm not at home, so I still don't have the information on the Cable X box.
If you want any more information, you can email me off line at aratate at aol dot com. Just change the at and dot.
Good luck

urcndust
01-16-2004, 15:15
The "Cable X" box is manufactured by Abbott Enterprises, Inc 901 West Fourth Avenue, Pine Bluff, Arkansas 71601 Phone 1-800-643-5973. Cost in 2000 was $220.00. Hope this helps.

odee
01-16-2004, 16:30
thanks for the info. I haven't bought the tranny yet. I'm looking at trying to make the bellhousing I have work. I have access to a full on machine shop so I think it will be possible. My truck runs 4.10 gears right now with a 235/85/16 on it. I have thought about trying to find a 3.91 gear for it but I don't want to loose any pulling power. How tall are your rear tires on your rig. I was hoping someone else might chime in with some more info. But what I have learned from you helps quit a bit. Thanks again

urcndust
01-19-2004, 06:37
I'm running the 245-75-16 tires. I know what you are going through, when I did my conversion, I couldn't find out much information either. The biggest source of information came from Advancd Adapters. The one person I talked to really helped me out even though it cost him a sale of the adapter. My only salvation is I don't drive this truck in the winter, so it was a winter project with plenty of time to think each step out.
If you can use your present bellhousing, it will make the job much easier. That running the hydraulics for the clutch was a nitemare. You will probably have to cut the driveshaft too. Good luck on the project, I certainlly have no regrets I did it now that it's done.

sdaver
02-03-2004, 16:54
indestructable.......have one in my 406 cuin rock crawler jeep.. :D call advanced adapters

odee
02-04-2004, 18:56
I just got the tranny out of the wifes jeep last night. I have to find a shifter for it. Does anyone know what the exact differences in the early and late versions are? Mine takes a shifter like the 465 use, I looked at a 4wd version that belongs to a friend of mine and it uses a shifter with a four bolt plate to hold it in. Also have to find a bellhousing for it. The one that I had heard of fitting it is just a rumor and a wrong one.