PDA

View Full Version : Surge brakes are getting VERY hot, opinions & options?

Quack_Addict
07-25-2005, 08:25
I'm no expert on trailer brakes, so please bear with me...

I have trailered my 23' Rinker twice this summer. The trailer has 10" hydraulic surge brakes on the REAR AXLE ONLY. The trailer, boat and gear together weigh approximately 7000 lb. I acquired the boat/trailer about 2 years ago and one of the first things I did was put all new brakes and a new master cylinder onto it. I towed the boat perhaps 2000 miles last year after installing the new brakes. The first trip with it this year, a 400 miles round trip, the RH trailer brake only made it 395 miles of it (the shoes bound up, broke the wheel cylinder and sprayed brake fluid all over the shoes); I had to baby it the last 5 miles home. During tear-down, the RH side was missing 100% of the brake lining, the LH side had some lining left on the shoes but was down to steel in other areas. These brakes had less than 2500 miles on them.

Anyhow, since the brake failure I have replaced all the brake components on the rear axle. I also installed all new wheel bearings. The drums were turned before installing them. I think the inner wheel bearings are 1-3/8" and the outers are 1-1/16" inside diameter. All the wheel bearings - on the axle with brakes and the one without - showed evidence of high heat. The bearings are greased (Bearing Buddy) before every trip, so lubrication isn't the problem.

This past weekend, I pulled the boat 200 miles, mostly highway. When I got to the campground, the rancid permeating stench of overheated brakes was obvious as soon as I got out of the truck. I poured a touch of water onto the brake axle hubs and the water boiled right off. The next day, I pulled the Bearing Buddy rubbers off and a bunch of the grease had pushed its way out of the Buddy into the caps.

I have done my fair share of brake jobs on vehicles and set the trailer brakes up the same as on a truck with drum rears - turn the shoe adjuster out until the pads just start to drag on the drum.

Have I done something wrong?
Is the master cylinder adjustable (or possibly out of adjustment)?

I'm almost ready to remove the brake system and simply install hubs on the rear axle to get away from the trailer brake issues.

What about splitting the break line and installing brakes on the front axle as well - will the master cylinder on the trailer push enough fluid volume to make 4 brakes work? My philosophy is that four brakes would distribute the braking force over 4 wheels instead of 2 and thereby reduce the heat in the rear brakes.

Are these axles heavy enough for this application (do they sound like 2000 lb axles)? The bearings and races on the rear axle showed more heat wear than the front axle bearings, but the front axle still got hot... I'm thinking the bearings aren't meant to handle this amount of weight.

ANY help, input and/or opinions on this matter are GREATLY appreciated!

byronlj
07-25-2005, 17:39
It appears your master cylinder is applying some pressure to your wheel cylinders causing the shoes to drag. I assume you have an Atwood brand M/C. I would check the springs on that and if they appear normal, I would contact Atwood.
Dave

HowieE
07-26-2005, 05:29
I agree that the problem is most likely in the master cylinder but I would strongly suggest you do not attempt to rely on surge brakes on a single axle for a 7000lbs. load.
Surge brakes come on when 100 lbs of force is applied to the hitch from the deceleration of the towing vehicle. This condition is only achievable when the combination is traveling in a straight line forward. You will not have trailer brakes applied while in a curve, because the tongue is extended at that time and thus releasing the brakes, or going backward because you have to lock out surge brakes to go backwards.
Considering that GM has never been known for the braking systems on our trucks I would install an electrical brake system on both axles.

jspringator
07-26-2005, 08:29
How would electric brakes tolerate being immersed in fresh water frequently, and salt water occasionally? Can you recommend any specific system? I have had nothing but trouble with my surge brakes, but didn't know I could use electric trailer brakes on a boat trailer.

HowieE
07-26-2005, 09:44
Water would not effect the electrical side of the system, but would have the same effect on the brake shoes, as any brake system, as long as they were wet. An electrical brake system is nothing more than a sealed DC magnet and wireing on the trailer end. As long as your wiring and connections are in good order you would just want to check things out when ever you check the axle seals and bearing grease.

DennisG01
07-26-2005, 12:22
Double ditto on getting a second set of brakes on your trailer! It may even be illegal in your state to only have brakes on one axle (it is illegal in PA). If you are ever involved in an accident, it could be a big problem! By the way, there is an "electric over hydraulic" version of surge brakes.

Quack_Addict
07-27-2005, 06:03
Electric-over-hydraulic would be the way to go on a boat trailer but I have been told true electric brakes are a no-no for 'wet' applications. This came direct from a brake engineer I have known for years that is works on trailering applications occasionally.

I have decided to put brakes on the front axle as well. If nothing else (aside from the legal aspect of it), it should distribute the friction/heat among 4 wheels instead of just 2. I say "should" because I'm assuming my current M/C can push the volume of fluid needed to make 4 wheel cylinders work to full effect. I am going to buy two additional 10" backing plate assemblies tonight, drums and the plumbing needed to make it all work together. I'll let you all know my progress on the project tomorrow.

Quack_Addict
07-28-2005, 10:40
I bought a new set of backing plate assemblies, brake drums and bearings yesterday and got them put on the front axle of the trailer after work. I tore into the rear axle to see how bad the 'new' brakes were and found the RH shoes had the lining completely worn off to the steel; the LH shoes still had lining left on them but it looked like melting ice cream. These brakes have 404 miles on them since installation.

I bought a brake kit for plumbing a tandem axle trailer and plan to tear into that tonight while my fiance picks up another set of new brakes for the rear axle.

HowieE
07-29-2005, 12:16
Lets step back a second. If you wore out a set of lining in 400 miles your master cylinder is not releasing at all. Before you set out again find out why the MC is hung up. I am suprised you did not see smoke or feel the load of the brakes in the peddle. I have seen Kelsey Hayes systems, a poor design with only one release spring on the 2 shoes and thus no recventering of the shoes when the brakes are released, hang up one shoe on a try axle and you feel in the peddle and see it in the exhaust temperature right a way

GMC-YA
07-30-2005, 16:28
just my 2cents, but could you have the self adjusters switched around?? I believe they would tighten up every time you stop! not just when backing.But all that aside electric brakes is the way to go and 4 is better than 2

markrinker
08-01-2005, 04:33
Could the tongue on your trailer be bent or corroded, causing it to bind up and not release the brakes? I saw this happen with an old horse trailer years ago. Rust and a slight bend in the hitch. When it was empty, the brakes would stick and tires slide in the dirt.

Quack_Addict
08-03-2005, 07:00
I finished off the brake job Friday evening, however my fishing buddy never showed so the trailer never left the driveway.

Howie, the M/C not releasing was my first thought as well, however it appears to be working fine. I'm wondering if the brake assembly on one side somehow hung up, causing that side to strip off all the lining. The other wheel with brakes still had almost 100% of the lining but it had evidently got hot as well (maybe because the other side wasn't helping with metal on metal?).

GMC, I think you may have hit the nail on the head with the adjusters possibly being installed improperly. Of the 4 backing plate assemblies I installed (the trailer shop warrantied the brakes that wore out in 400 miles), two of the backing plate assemblies had the adjusters installed BACKWARDS! The brakes (two of them) were literally impossible to adjust with the adjusters in this way... but I was able to adjust the set that wore out in 400 miles... curious.

Mark, I've totally disassembled the trailer end of the hitch and oiled it up to allow it to slide easier. It has a little rust on it but nothing that close to being able to restrict it from moving around. It's all lubed up now, so if these brakes wear like the last set, I'll really be scratching my head.

I adjusted the brakes just like I was taught and the same as every other set of drum brakes I've ever done - turn the adjusters until the shoes start to scuff the inside of the drum.

moondoggie
08-03-2005, 09:33
Good Day!

I think on my first few pulls, I'd pull over OFTEN & put my high-tech high-sensitivity temperature sensor (my hand) on each wheel & hub & see if things are warming up or not...

Blessings!