PDA

View Full Version : fifth wheel

hug
01-24-2005, 15:20
Hey guys looked into buying a new fifth wheel camper
this weekend and was thinking about using the turnoverball unit from b&w with fifth wheel companion. My question is there enough adjustment in it for a shortbed?Will I need a fifth wheel ext? I did talk to the factory rep about using a gooseneck adapter on it and he said that it would not affect the structure of the camper none(warranty would not be lost) . If I did that I could use a goosneck offset. Also I have the 285/75/16 tires on my D/A am I going to encounter bed rail clearance problems? Any help will be appreciated! Which combination would give me the best ride?

richp
01-25-2005, 04:14
"I did talk to the factory rep about using a gooseneck adapter on it and he said that it would not affect the structure of the camper none(warranty would not be lost) .

Get it in writing. Get it in writing. Get it in writing.

Actually, before you go see if the sales person will be so bold as to commit something that critical to writing and sign it, you should do a search on the archives here on gooseneck conversions. You will find a lot of information to think about before you go down that road. There are numerous structural and legal reasons to not just take the word of a salesman on such a critical decision.

For what it's worth.

Rich Phillips
Member #27

BozDMAX
01-25-2005, 08:57
I have the 3500, which comes only with the long bed. Also use the B&W hitch both for my gooseneck Wells-Cargo (on the ball only) and the 5-er with the B&W Companion Hitch. It is a 4x4 so it is a bit tall, but I did not need to flip axels or anything, but did play around with both the pinbox on the trailer and the adjustments in the Companion to get the setup just right.

I do think you are likely to run into cab/trailer interference on a tight turn however, unless you are very careful. A pinbox extension may do the trick for you (Trailair makes a couple different ones, but there are others).