PDA

View Full Version : PullRite 20K Hitch

tanker
01-18-2004, 15:57
For ronniejoe; Regarding my 70 degree 20,000lb PullRite hitch, it only has one pivot point for turning, (no swinging out to either side when stopping as you mentioned) which is just behind the rear axle. The ball coupler is only for up and down pivoting, not turning. It pulls just like a 5th wheel, so it adds about 4-5 feet to the length of the trailer, as far as going around corners, backing up etc. So it is a little harder to spot in a tight campsite. On a standard ball type hitch you pivot about 5 feet to the rear of the rear axle, which is great for backing into tight spaces, and turning corners. However there is a dangerous part to this set up which almost caused us to roll our new trailer last August. When you turn to the right the ball is thrown to the left, so as the tow vehicle tuns right the trailer starts to turn to the left before its goes to the right. In an evasive manuver, say a quick right then left, it causes sway, Big Time Sway! The advantages of the PullRite are many. No sway on the highway in crosswinds, or when being passed by big 18 wheelers. I can drive with one hand, however I use two hands most of the time, no white knuckle driving. The weight distributing bars lock tight against the trailer frame to prevent turning at the ball coupler. The electric socket connection is attached to the swinging drawbar, not to the tow vehichle frame. A world of differance in towing a big heavy high center of gravity trailer. I can now turn the steering wheel to the right then left then right quickly without the trailer wagging like a dogs tail. Hope this helps answer some of your questions. smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
01-18-2004, 17:40
Thanks Tanker! ;)

I was forgetting about the non-pivot coupling at the hitch ball. Your explanation helped by reminding me.

I know, all too well, about trailer sway in evasive maneuvering situations. On my recent trip to Las Vegas for the SEMA show, I nearly lost my entire rig. I was entering Las Vegas from the North on I-15 in the center lane running 65 mph. I noticed up in front what appeared to be a slow moving vehicle. I checked my mirrors and began to slow to change lanes. When I looked back (not more than 2 seconds elapsed time), I was right on top of a pick-up stopped dead in the center lane. I think the guy was drunk. I knew that I had a clear lane to my left (from my mirror check), so I made a panic move and missed the stopped truck by what appeared to be less than three feet. Then, things got very hairy.

The trailer went into violent sway. I was steering from lock to lock to counter and using up three lanes of I-15. At one point, I looked right out the window of the passenger side door (I was sliding sideways down the road) and saw the entry door on my trailer. At one point, I thought I was going on around. I applied the trailer brakes manually and stood on the go pedal. After about a quarter mile of this I finally gathered it and pulled to the side of the road. The only damage was to a generator rack that I had mounted on the rear of my trailer... The rear of the trailer swung so far to the left that the rack slammed into the concrete divider in the center of the road.

To give you an idea about the severity of this event, the trailer tires are scuffed up to within two inches of the rim. The trailer was sliding sideways that badly. I'm really surprised that it did not roll the tires off the rim... and flip the trailer.

Another motorist stopped to check on me after the incident. When he was sure that I was unhurt, just shaken, he shook my hand and said, "Awesome save! That's the most incredible job of driving I've ever seen!" Then he turned and left.

I have commented on this site before that my set-up is very stable... And I believe that it is for a standard type hitch. I normally drive one-handed as well. However, that incident is making me think about the PullRite hitch.

tanker
01-18-2004, 18:22
ronniejoe, Ours was about the same, traveling on a 4 lane at 50mph after a rain storm, keeping a safe distance from the car in front of us, with a few 18's passing on our left. A car then pulled out of the passing lane between two 18's right in front of us about 20' ahead then slammed on his brakes because a truck blew a tire up ahead. So it was hit him hard or go for the paved shoulder, which we did, but with this right/left manuver we began the tail wagging, and the left wheels of the trailer lifted off the pavement then bounced down, which witnesses said we were on our way over the side! :eek: I applied the trailer brakes and gave it some throttle to get it straight again, then we came to a stop and collected ourselves. Never again, and after almost 30 years of towing a travel trailer, plus running an 18 for several years I never want that again. Thats why I looked into another type hitch. Looked at Hensley and PullRite. Decided on PullRite after talking to both company's, and looking at both video's. smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
01-18-2004, 19:33
I just requested the PullRite video.

When not towing, does the receiver lock into the center position? Is this hitch any more difficult to hitch-up than a conventional type hitch?

Thanks again.

tanker
01-19-2004, 01:01
ronniejoe, when not towing the drawbar swings to the right, and the end of the receiver is inward of the end of the bumper corner. You then put a pin (same pin that holds your ball mount in place when towing) into the drawbar and into the track to keep it out of the way.
Hitching up is a little different than the conventional way, and does take a little more time, until you get the hang of it.
If your trailer is heavy, like mine, make sure you have a 3500lb electric jack. Mine came with a 2500lb jack, and I have a tongue weight of +1100lbs, so thats why I have the 20K PullRite, and the bars are easier to hookup if you lift up the the tongue while hitched up to the tow vehicle.
Before you buy it, or talk to anyone at "PullRite" ask More Power to contact me, and I will then e-mail you some important information first. :rolleyes:

rjschoolcraft
01-19-2004, 05:33
Thank you! :cool:

MikeC
01-19-2004, 15:38
RonnieJoe,

Sounds like someone was on your side. I have never been that far out of shape towing, and I really never want to be. Congrats on the save! :D

Tanker,

I would like to know more about the Pull-rite. I've looked at the Hensley info and would like to check out the Pull-rite. I'll request their tape but can you enlighten me further? Please send it to: mcooper at uaoh dot net Thanks

Mike

arveetek
01-21-2004, 07:26
Whew! That's why I prefer a fifth-wheel!! :eek:

I never have liked towing conventional-type travel trailers. I jack-knifed a loaded flatbed trailer when I was 16, and I've been cautious of that type of trailer ever since. I was hauling home a load of trusses, and the trailer started swaying. All I had was surge brakes, and that didn't help much. I couldn't get it under control and ended up sliding the whole rig around until I was pointed in the opposite direction on the other side of the road. Talk about scary!

I bent two wheels on the trailer because they folded under from sliding. I also bent the the trailer tongue and pushed in the side of the truck bed because the truck and trailer turned closer than 90 degrees to each other at one point. I also ended up taking out somebody's mailbox. We didn't realize it until later when we were inspecting the load on the trailer and found a mailbox and post stuck in there.

Luckily there wasn't any other traffic around at the time, other than my father who was behind me with another trailer load. He witnessed the whole thing, and was sure glad to see I was all right.

Proper trailer hitches and towing setups are absolutely critical!

I had a customer in here the other day who was towing his 29' travel trailer without a receiver hitch, equalizer bars, or any sway control. He just had a ball on the bumper of his 3/4 ton. No brake controller either. Just using a 7-way to flat 4 adapter for lights. I couldn't believe it.

Be safe out there! :cool:

Casey

rjschoolcraft
01-21-2004, 12:20
I've had really good success towing travel trailers, but that one incident is enough to make me think aobut changing my setup.

5th wheels are out because I have four kids to haul around when we travel. The Suburban provides ample space for the family to spread out and the kids can watch TV and play PlayStation2 while we travel (all are buckled in). I have yet to see a pickup that could match the passenger space. Give me a six door 3500HD dually with three rows of seats and maybe I would be interested. Boy that would be long! :D

It appears that the PullRite might be the best compromise. I will have to save up some and see about making the purchase.