PDA

View Full Version : liability and hitch install

Rockin
01-20-2004, 13:19
From a liability standpoint, is there any reason to have a B&W goose installed by a hitch installer rather than do it myself? Would it only matter if you were to choose to sue the installer that they have insurance?

AOPA Roger
01-21-2004, 20:34
Sure, but that is why we have liability insurance. Every mile we drive we could be liable if we are in an acident. That doesn't stop us from driving does it? If you hire someone to put on a hitch, and it fails, who do you think will be sued? You will. You are the one that hired the guy to put on the hitch. I suppose you could then sue him, but after a while we all sue each other and no one will do any work.

tanker
01-22-2004, 01:32
Rockin, I feel the same way. If you are mechanical, and have the tools, and common knowledge, you should be able to do the installation. Anything (modifications) you do to your vehicles, you are liable in a court room. If you hitch-up and forget to plug in the trailer cord, and you can't stop, or someone rear-ends you because you did not have lights, you are liable. As stated above you are liable for just about anything you say or do. So follow the manufacturer's instructions to a "T" and you should be fine. ;)