PDA

View Full Version : Roadmaster Suspension

Scooby
02-01-2005, 03:22
I am considering buying the Roadmaster spring assist kit for my c1500 as I am preparing to tow my K2500 mud truck with it. Does anyone here use the Roadmaster kit, and where would be the best place to buy it?? I have been thinking about this for a year now, and I still have to modify my trailer (probably adding a 3rd axle too) before I put the 2500 on it. I will be bumper pulling, which I am not fond of, but I dont want to put a lot into another trailer, when I only tow occasionally. Thanks for any input.

hug
02-01-2005, 08:20
Scooby I have the roadmaster suspension on my k1500. I like it. It does not make for a stiff ride. It performs pretty much like it says. It cuts out on the sway alot. I think it would be a good investment. I purchased mine directly from roadmaster. I hope this helps. If you have any questions I will be glad to answer. smile.gif

dmaxmule
02-01-2005, 08:26
Scooby, I have one a Toyota truck and it is great. It cuts out the sway in the rear of the truck. I have never seen one on a larger truck, but if it does for them as it has for my Toyota, it will be a great investment.

96ccdd
02-01-2005, 08:57
Won't you be over the tow rating using the bumper ?? Just a thought.

Mark

Scooby
02-01-2005, 17:23
OOPS- I say bumper tow, but i dont really mean bumper!! Truck has factory receiver hitch. I wish I had a gooseneck trailer and could use fifth wheel to tow. Last owner towed with fifth wheel, and I am sure it would be a lot better, especially since this is ONLY a 1500. I got to go with what I have, since I already spent WAY to much making this diesel run well !! I am thinking of adding a third axle to the trailer I will use, both to get weight off the tongue, and to add another set of brakes. I will tow in Florida, so hills arent really an issue. Snowbirds stopping in front of me is another story though!! Thanks for your input.

Turbine Doc
02-03-2005, 19:36
Oh contraire Scooby, my K1500 does quite well with GN had to do the mods though to have enough grunt & stopping power to pull it

check out www.putnamhitch.com (http://www.putnamhitch.com) look at lock & load
normal is as GN can convert to GN with adapter, nothing in the bed to get in way, self install in 3hr tied to frame under the bed, ball is sealed from elements, & well socket does not fill with crud when not in use under the cover.

Roadmaster susp keeps all sitting dead level

Scooby
02-16-2005, 06:23
Tim--
How does your k1500 do stopping loaded ?? I dont know if there is a difference in brakes between k1500 & c1500. I want to add a third axle to the trailer I will use- it has two, and only one brake axle. What does your trailer/backhoe weigh?? I would really like to have a gooseneck, but I bought the trailer I have now and could never get out of it what I paid ($1000). It is a good heavy trailer, but I need to widen it about 10 inches on each side so the tires on my mud truck wont hang over. I hope I dont sink a lot into this trailer, then dont like the way it pulls !!

Turbine Doc
02-16-2005, 08:34
I've not weighed the GN trailer with the backhoe on it yet, but trailer is 5600# and backhoe is supposed to be around 12,000#, I have scaled at 18,700#; (truck, trailer & JD-2020 tractor+ impliments), towing the backhoe is a heavier pull estimate 18K for trailer & BH together, I manage that okay on a 200 mi haul mostly low country small hills, & a long grade bridge pull.

I added stainless lines, drilled front rotors, & ceramic front pads, and HD rear shoes, if my GN trailer brakes ever failed, it could get interesting, biggest impact to stopping I've found since upgrading is proper adjustments on rear shoes, before a big tow I adjust manually to get a very light drag on rear drums. Automatic adjusters don't keep brakes as far adjusted out as I like, I like rears on pretty firm when towing.

I'll eventually upgrade to disks on rear as well, also looking at a K3500 brake booster to see if I'd gain more power for braking, I'd say medium to light weight tow 8K or less a healthy stock system properly adjusted will be plenty, do upgrades I have done and plan for future if semi-frequent towing big weight, frequent big tow move up to bigger truck or maybe swap to full HD rated brakes/axles.