PDA

View Full Version : Gooseneck trailers and D/A 2500HD trucks

markrinker
08-01-2005, 04:39
Anyone here regularly hauling with a gooseneck trailer and a D/A 2500HD? Interested in your experiences.

I'm shopping for deckover trailers at present and wondering if I should make the jump from dual 7500# axles (single wheel) to dual 10000# axles (dual wheels).

Most gooseneck trailers I've seens set the axles so far back that I am concerned about how much weight my truck should be carrying.

Experiences appreciated!

DmaxMad
08-02-2005, 11:58
Have not pulled one much but my 2500hd seems to hold the weight well. I have a 32 foot with 2 jeeps it (estimated 13,000lbs) does not squat it too much. Pulls real good.

Cooperrw
08-02-2005, 17:41
I tow a 3 horse GN, when towing with one or two horses I put them in the front two stalls. This puts most of the wieght forward of the axles and my truck handles it with no problems. smile.gif

SatchMax
08-06-2005, 18:38
I have a 32 flat bed dove tail, dually wheels with a 20000lb trailer gross and my 02 ccda dually handled it very well with two John Deere tractors on. Gross weight of truck, trailer and 530 and 730 tractors was around 29000 lbs. My son has a exclong bed da with a 25 ft trailer with two single wheel axles and a gross of 14000 lbs and his truck pulls it very well with a 9000 lb John Deere R on it. Also have a 31ft 5er and we both pull it very well. You will not have any problems pulling a flat bed trailer..
Good Luck
SatchMax

Jim Brzozowski
08-10-2005, 08:23
Mark, don't know what you are wanting to haul, so can't advise on single vs dual wheels. Mine are duals, trailer is rated for 22,000. My 02 2500hd pulls it better than my previous 3500 dual wheel did. The key is balanceing out the load, side to side and front to back. Make the trailer springs work. I have a lift at my shop and I lifted my Goose Neck several times until I found the balance point on the trailer and it lifted level. I had the lift points as close as I could get them so that the trailer would tip forward or backward. After finding the center of graviety front to rear, I marked a line on the trailer. Now I know exactly where to poistion the load to make the trailer work and not overwork the truck springs. Rolling resistance will be slightly more on the dual tandem axles, but remember you then have four sets of brakes stopping the trailer using 8 tires. I of course am in favor of the dual tandem axles. Dexter 10,000 lbs axles preferably. Dependable and gives one confidence you can go anywhere across the country and not have to worry about a thing.

William Lee Gingerich
08-27-2005, 08:27
Just a few thots on trailers. We have a tandom dually goose neck and it pulls great behind my 052500HD except for the fact that its to short of a trailer. Its 26ft long and I think the axles are to close to the truck so when you hit bumps it jerks the truck excessivly. I think a longer trailer pulls smoother over rough roads.I have been very pleased with the spring capacity on the 2500HD.

Jim H.
09-01-2005, 17:40
Do the dual wheel trailers have oil-bath type hubs instead of greased bearings? Is so, I would think this would be a plus.

Tractor
09-01-2005, 18:18
Jim H.
Yes some of the dual wheeled tandem axle gooseneck trailers have the oil bath for the wheel bearings. Mine sure does. It is a Diamond T flat bed trailer. She,s a dandy.

TRACTOR

stxfarmer
09-05-2005, 15:04
I have done a lot of hauling with my 32ft GN on my 2001 2500HD. The one thing that I did that has made a huge difference was the air bag suspension. I am picking up a 2006 3500 dually in a couple of weeks and that is one of the first things I am putting on the truck. The heaviest load (and I know I was severly overloaded) was 31,000 (truck, trailer, and load). My GN has dual 10,000 lb axles, dual wheels and they can carry anything. The heaviest thing that I put on my trailer was 26,000 lbs, I only pulled it about 1/4 mile but it was a huge load for the trailer and truck. I regularly pull my tractor or backhoe from the farm to the ranch and never worry about the trailer with the dual 10K axles. Remember, the dual wheel, 10K axle trailer will be heavier but you can haul a heavier load. I have never regreted having the heavier trailer but I have never worried about having too little trailer for what I was hauling. By the way, my GN has a dropped deck and torque tube, another thing that makes hauling much easier.