PDA

View Full Version : Heath Tranny Control

Fredeberle
06-04-2004, 08:26
Has anyone used this and if so, your opinions.
I only tow a 19 ft. tt (5,000 lbs ) but feel anything that helps is worth it. :D
Any better suggestions as to what I should use for tranny help ?
Thanks again for the great site, it has been a real education, only wish I understood 99% of it all. smile.gif
Fred

tanker
06-04-2004, 16:57
Hi Fred, I think (IMHO) that one of the best solutions to premature transmission problems is keeping it cool, and keeping the fluid clean.
I change my fluid once a year, all of it, a complete flush, with new filter each time. 146,000 miles on my transmission with the original pan gasket. :eek:
A good size cooler, preferably a fan type with a thermostat, woorks best.
I'm not up on what, "Bill Heath" is using, but he is known for quality products and good service, so I'd say if you can afford it. go for it. ;)

Fredeberle
06-05-2004, 05:25
Hi Tanker, where would I look for that tranny cooler with fan ?
There seems to be so many different products for the tranny, convertor locking devices, shift kits,
coolers, etc. plus a wealth of opinion it becomes a bit confusing as to what use. :confused:
Now that I am maintaining the truck myself, thanks to this site, I understand how important all these mods are. :D
Price is not always a factor when you consider the larger cost of repairs when you don't do the the little things.
Will order that & a boost controler from Heath today.
Fred

tanker
06-06-2004, 16:23
Fred, I bought mine from "BD" in Abbotsford, BC. Canada. You may wish to contact some of the advertiser's here on the page. John Kennedy could surely help you. I bought mine about 6 years ago, and it came with everything needed to hook it up. hose, clamps, wire, fittings, screws, wire connectors, wire ty-straps etc. I don't recall the price, but it was worth every penny. Howie E. a member from Princeton NJ also has one on his suburban. Its the best way I know of to keep it cool.
Wish you well on getting one.
By the way, I mounted mine under the floor behind the transmission and transfer-case on the drivers side. It blows downward, but you can reverse the rotation and draw the air up. smile.gif

letsgo
06-06-2004, 16:38
So tell me what are you guys talking about?????

Im interested in any product that can improve my tow vehicals performance.

appreciate any input.

Turbine Doc
06-07-2004, 00:18
Got my trans cooler/fan/therm at Summit DeRaile is what they carry several others out there.

Deeper finned trans pan more fluid & fins aid in cooling www.yourcovers.com (http://www.yourcovers.com) PML very similar to MAGTEK for less $$$

Shift improvers change shifting program profile several vendors for these Heath is excellent choice, B&M, BD, I went with shift improver body over the module, but I also had tranny overhauled & HD clutch packs installed.

Check with Bill Heath, his chip or reflash have improved shifting program, & module may not be required if flash or chip swap(highly recommended)

[ 06-07-2004, 12:39 AM: Message edited by: tbogemirep ]

Fredeberle
06-07-2004, 10:18
Thanks for all the input guy's. smile.gif
Have found a few sources for that tranny cooler.
Get the biggest one I can find? :D
Fred

Turbine Doc
06-08-2004, 04:20
Fred mine is rated for up to 25K price IIRC that was smallest one listed, somebody snatch me up if I try to pull that with my K1500.

I was worried about making it too cool which is why I installed a thermostat control along with a manual switch to de-energize it when I don't need it.

I only power it up when towing or tranny starts to get hot which is almost never running empty, the factory cooler already does a pretty good job.

Something I found the hard way , you can't run with the fans on, on an unimproved muddy road mud & rocks can get between cooler fins and fan, the fan won't turn and burns up the motor, I've since installed a mud/rock screen over the fan cage plus flush with a hose after I've been where it might have mudded up.

Fredeberle
06-08-2004, 11:21
Hi Tim,
Just ordered the derale 25K w/thermostat control
from Summit. Thanks for mentioning them.
They have a smaller 15,500K also. :(
I don't have any muddy roads up here or where I travel to but good to keep in mind. smile.gif
In summer up here I will need the thermostat control, in a 10 mile run that I make quite often there are 50 stop lights plus 3 full stops and you usually hit about 90% of the lights. The other day when I ran it the tranny was going to 200. (truck empty) The trip takes 35-45 minutes!
Would rather have a muddy road. :eek:
Fred