PDA

View Full Version : Wings

doncannon
06-07-2004, 20:33
Does a wing on top of the cab help in towing the 5ers? I do not mind being slow getting to the top of the hill, I just do not want to take all day to get there.
Thank you for your help in advance,
Don

David Utz
06-08-2004, 03:30
Can they help? Yes. Do most people who try them see a significant improvement? No.
Most wings are to small to be of much help. The more frontal area you have, the less effective they tend to be. My current trailer is tall and wide (Travel Supreme 33RKSS) and the wing is of little or no help. My last trailer was a different story. It was a mid-profile Prowler and the wing and trailer roof line were much closer to being in line. The last truck was a 90 K2500 with the 210 HP gasser. It was running out of power at 60 mph with any hills or head winds. after adding the wing and lowering the 5er hitch 3 inches, I could pull at 70 mph on the same hills and winds and not run out of power. For that combination, there was a significant reduction in drag. For my current setup, it helps keep the bugs off the front of the trailer and not much more.