PDA

View Full Version : Lower truck to fit 5r???

hobbit
02-18-2005, 10:01
I have an Excel fifth wheel that rides lower than most. Looking for new truck but see that bed on Duramax 2wd is 2-3 inches higher than my current Ford. Would like to buy a Chevy. Have already made all possible hitch adjustments. Can I lower the Chevy without sacrificing ride and bottoming out?

richp
02-18-2005, 10:04
Yes, it is possible and easy to lower the rear, with after-market shackles.

I added dropped rear shackles for the first two years I towed with my K2500 DMAX. After the suspension had settled in, I was able to remove them and reinstall the factory shackles and still have an almost dead level ride with my 12K fiver. This argues in favor of keeping the old ones in case your rig sags a bit over time as you haul a heavy load, as mine did.

As I recall, the 2" drop shackles were about $75 and were pretty easy to install in the driveway. Sorry I can't recall the brand, but a quick google search turned up Belltech as a company that sells them in 1" and 2" drop configurations.

Best to you.

Rich Phillips
Member #27

hobbit
02-19-2005, 05:35
Rich,
Thanks for the info. Did the shackles change the ride? Any more danger of bottoming out?

richp
02-19-2005, 05:55
Hobbit,

Didn't seem to change the ride at all. It leveled the truck very nicely when I put 1,500 pounds of pin weight on it, and I never felt I came close to bottoming out.

Doing it this way is a lot cheaper and easier than flipping the axles on the trailer. And as I mentioned, as the springs settle in, you can always put the original shackles back on to re-level things if you need to.

Best to you.

Rich Phillips
Member #27

DmaxMaverick
02-19-2005, 06:32
Have you looked at VelvetRide Shackles? They can lower the rear height up to 3", with an added bonus of a smoother ride.

This site (http://www.drivetrain.com/velvetride.html) explains how they work.

They are a retailer item, and most truck stores either stock them or can order them.

Try posting this thread (ask Mod to move it for you) in the 2500HD/3500 Accessories (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=5) Forum. I think you'll get responses from people that actually have them, as well as other solutions.

Have you considered raising the trailer? In many cases, it is easier, and more wallet friendly. There are several ways to do it.

Good luck!

hobbit
02-21-2005, 04:31
Dmax and Rchip-
What about the shocks? do you need a different size? Do they function differently?

richp
02-21-2005, 06:36
Altogether, I did about 75k miles with the lowered shackles -- split between 2 types of shocks.

I kept the stock shocks after I installed the new shackles and never noticed any difference in ride. When I went with Bilsteins after a year or so (about 25k miles on the odometer), there were no ride consequences that I could notice for the 50k miles (more or less) that I put on them. That was when I noticed the springs had started to take a slight set and the trailer was riding a bit lower. So I re-installed the stock shackles and sold the lowered set to somebody else on the Diesel Page.

For what its worth.

Rich Phillips
Member #27

James Hewett
03-07-2005, 01:44
I bought shackels from Summit-Priced rite and lowered my 4x4 2500 just to make it ride level and the 800 lb. tung weight of my 5ver trl. doesn't bring it down much past that level point.Even my rearveiw mirrors work better.
I don't think flipping axels on the trl. is a good idea because it raises the center of gravety and the first step you need to take to get in your trl. may be more then an average height, therefore you have to add a step.
Level Trailers ride better and propane refrigerators work better and rear bumpers of the trl. don't drag as EZ.