PDA

View Full Version : Question for Tanker or Howie E

Fredeberle
06-10-2004, 09:51
Got my Derale 25k tranny cooler today. :D
Do I just go into the line before the OEM cooler?
This will be before my temp sensor.
Anything I should be careful about? :rolleyes:
By the way, tanker, Kennedy laughed at me when I asked him about coolers. :mad:
Thanks for all the help. smile.gif
Heading out to S.Dakota tuesday, will see how everything works. ;)
Fred

HowieE
06-10-2004, 11:39
There a 2 lines coming out of the trans. The upper and forward line is the trans output and is the I cut into to install my cooler. Cut this line with a small tubing cutter about 3 or 4 ins. from were it leaves the trans. Turn the elbow towards the rear and attach enough hose to reach the cooler. Mine is mounted under the drivers side rear door just inside the frame on about a 30 degree angle left to right. If your cooler came with a thermostat it is this line you want to install the stat in just befoer the cooler. I covered the stat with insulation so the oil temperature was the true effect on the stat thus decreasing the on point. Connect hosing from the other side of the cooler back to the cut line leading forward to the radiator.
If you want to install a guage in the other line, the return line leading to the rear of the trans, I used a brass compression Tee to house the sensor and carried a ground wire from the body of the Tee to the truck frame to insure continuity.
Now this is were I differ from others on this installation. I remove the transmission lines from the radiator cooler and connect them togeather with a hose and clamps. Thus the trans oil goes from the trans to the fan driven cooler and them to the factory cooler forward of the radiator. This combination results in my trans running at 150 or below, effectively the air temperature coming back off the hot engine on a summer day, as long as the convertor is locked. While I have taken steps on my older tow trucks to hold the trans temperature higher in the winter by covering the factory cooler with a sock I have not done that on this truck just because I would have to remove the grill to install the sock. Without the sock the trans runs close to 100 105 in the dead of winter while the convertor is locked.

JoeyD
06-13-2004, 18:45
Howie, What are your thoughts on just using the cooler under the truck and nothing up front behind the grill?

HowieE
06-14-2004, 05:24
Joey D
If you do not have a factor installed trans cooler forward and your question is which to install first for a none towing truck.
Cost and effectiveness is in favor of the forward mounted cooler. The coolest air is available there and its free compared to the fan operating cost. However if you are doing a lot of stop and go city driving than the fan driven cooler would be the first choise because you would never get up enough speed to get that freebee air. Below about 30 mph the forward cooler has little effect.
Now if you are towing I would consider both. Installed as I have mentioned above each has its area of operation. Under light load or at sustained road speeds the forward mounted cooler will maintain the trans temperature. Under load and as the trans oil leaving the trans increases in temperature the fan will come on against its thermotat and pre cool the oil before it goes forward thus clipping the higher temperature as required and turning the fan off as needed.
I find the air temperature under the truck directly follows the temperature comig off the engine and thus is a function of the time of the year. In summer my trans holds 150 degrees, with the fan coming on as necessary, while in the winter it can drop to 105 on the coldest day with the fan never coming on even in traffic.
In case you have not guessed it by now I do not like heat. Good luck

rjschoolcraft
06-14-2004, 06:58
HowieE,

The engine fan will pull air through that front mounted trans cooler as it pulls it through the radiator. So, it does have a good effect below 30 mph.

JoeyD
06-14-2004, 10:02
Howie, I was just thinking of using the fan cooler under the bed and remove the grill cooler to make room for an intercooler.

HowieE
06-14-2004, 12:03
Joey D
If you are going to install an intercooler forward are you going to install it between the AC condenser and the radiator. If not you run a risk of running the high side pressure real high on the AC do to the heat coming off the intercooler.
If you are installing a cooler under the truck and only using that system I would consideer install 2 and staging the thermostats. The stat that comes with a fan driven cooler is a 165 degree stat that realy operates at about 180+ if the stat is not insulated from the air flow. If you insulate the first cooler and not the second they will stage.

JoeyD
06-14-2004, 14:30
Howie, It's just thinking as of now but I will leave the condensor out front and get an intercooler between that and the radiator.
I want to remote mount the oil cooler as well.

HowieE
06-14-2004, 17:26
I forgot to mention. When designing you set up space any cooler about an in. apart for effective air flow. This tip comes from Hayden coolers.