PDA

View Full Version : Trailer light converter...

More Power
01-25-2004, 16:36
Here's a question for you trailer light experts...

The new trucks come with a trailer package that includes separate circuits to operate conventional trailer lights. Back when the auto industry began using separate turn and brake lamps, auto accessory companies offered tail light converters so owners could use the vehicle's multi element tail light circuit to power a trailer having conventional tail lights (combined stop/turn lamps).

How do these work?

I may need to use something along these lines to power the tail lights on the C/K Duramax project truck.

Thanks,

MP

sturgeon-phish
01-25-2004, 17:11
I think there is a diode in the brake and turn signal wires to prevent back feeding a signal.

Kennedy
01-26-2004, 08:38
I've had the best luck with the Draw Tite converters. Had Amish here running them on their tractors when pulling trailers. The "garden variety" would last for a month at best, but the DT units (lifetime warranty) would go a year or better.

I had a DT unit in my Iveco as it had seperate brake lights/signals like a semi. It worked pretty well for quite a while, but IIRC, it eventually failed.

That said, the DrawTite Modu-Lite system is an even better alternative as it carries no load on the wires. The failed units had what appeared to be transistors(?) that heated up and melted into the case. The Modulite seems to be the answer as I have never seen one fail in my limited experience with them.

You'll have to look into the adaptation in your case, as I believe that these units are designed to do the opposite of your needs. The Modu-Lite MAY be reversible...

More Power
01-26-2004, 10:24
Thanks John,

I could just tap into the tail light circuits on the new system near the under hood junction block, and treat the truck's tail lights (and existing tail light harness) as if it were a trailer.

Another possibility would be to replace one of the single element bulbs in each tail light with a dual element. But, I think that would be more tedious to implement.

MP

Kennedy
01-26-2004, 11:15
Personally, I like the dedicated (particularly the amber color) turn signals as I thingk that the different color helps draw attantion.

Definitely sounds doable the way you describe...

HowieE
01-26-2004, 11:52
Drawing on the way.

kerry witherspoon
01-30-2004, 18:03
How about led light on the back.

More Power
02-03-2004, 10:56
I've thought about a full-length LED lightbar inside the space between the lower edge of the tailgate and the roll-pan. This would allow it operate sorta like a CHMSL (Center High Mounted Stop Light), which is supported by the 2001 wiring..

I stopped by a local NAPA the other day, and saw they carry a selection of tail light converters (some small/cheap, some larger/more expensve), so they are fairly common. However, I think I'll investigate the DrawTite Modu-Lite converter JK mentioned.... The light bar is still a cool idea...

Thanks for all your help.

MP