PDA

View Full Version : 12 volt to trailer

CONCORDMAX
02-22-2004, 08:41
I thought that when I ordered my 02 crew cab Dmax with the HD trailering package and Fifth wheel provision I had everingthing I needed for hauling trailers. Problem, I hooked up a new Wells Cargo trailer, it has auxilary 12 volt lighting. I know the plug on the rear platform has a 12 volt lead. It is not getting juice. I have tryed to figure it out with no solution. I don't want to make a trip to the trailer place if I don't have to. Can anyone help I know it is probally a simple solution. Thanks in advance.

BarryD
02-22-2004, 08:45
Check the fuse. Make sure it is installed. I got the brake harness and there is a fuse in the bundle. The instructions indicated the fuse was needed for power to the plug.

Rockin
02-22-2004, 17:33
Check your 7-6 adapter. There are two types and the electric brake and +12v are switched. If you have a brake controller (and electronic brakes) the brakes will lock if you have the wrong plug.

ore.diesel
02-22-2004, 18:10
SAME PROBLEM ON MINE. THERE WAS A BLIND [NON-WORKING] FUSE IN THE SLOT FOR THE BATTERY IN MY FUSE BOX. I THINK IT WAS A SOLID PINK IN COLOR WHERE THE REAL FUSES ARE A SEE THRU COLOR. REPLACED IT WITH A REAL ONE. THAT WAS THE END OF MY PROBLEM. WHAT WORKED FOR ME ANYWAY.

CONCORDMAX
02-22-2004, 22:06
Thanks agian for the help. I finally figured it out. UH electrial box. Duh the uh stands for under the hood. I put the 40 amp fuse in the number 1 post. I have 12volt power to the plug now.

tpaulson
02-22-2005, 05:16
I have the same problem with a cargo trailer not receiving 12V for the trailer's interior lights. The problem does seem to be the missing fuse. But, I have a question as to the proper location to install the fuse.

In the manual it has 2 possible locations.
STUD#1 - Auxiliary Power(single Battery and Diesels only)/Dual Battery(TP2) Do not install fuse

STUD#2 - Accessory Power/Trailer Wiring Brake Feed

I have a 2004 Silverado with the Duramax and it has dual batteries. So the description for STUD#1 is a little contradictory.

I put the fuse in STUD#1 and 12V feed to the trailer started working. I haven't seen any problems because of the fuse being in STUD#1, but I just wanted to be sure I have it in the right spot.

If I have it in the right spot, what is STUD#2 for then.

Thanks
Tim

Brad Pelot
02-22-2005, 07:27
My enclosed trailer has the interior lights ran from the tail lights on the pickup. The light will not work if the tail lights are not on. I suppose because it is a small trailer and just has a four prong plug.

tpaulson
02-22-2005, 07:34
I am using the 7 pin round trailer connector that comes installed with the heavy duty trailer package.

Tim

Jim Brzozowski
02-22-2005, 09:43
Its been a long time since I hooked up my trailer brake harness, but I remember there being a fuse in the package, with instructions to not install it if you have dual batteries. I don't know why, I did notice that after I installed the harness for the 5vr that not only was there no auxillery power to the trailer in the camper harness, the same thing happened to the plug in at the back of the truck. I know I had voltage coming to that plug before I installed the brake harness(factory supplied), but not any more. Maybe the instructions are wrong and I should try installing the fuse like you guys did.

WanaDmxsub
02-24-2005, 16:23
The dual battery note is for the Gassers only. The diesels need to have the fuse plugged in.
The wording has confused us all at first.