PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 506 block

Dvldog 8793
07-29-2004, 05:35
Howdy
I have recently had the extream displeasure of removeing my engine because of antifreeze consumption. I was really kinda hoping for a head problem but of course it never is the easy fix.
My symptoms were 2 gallons of antifreeze gone in about 200miles. oil "jelly" on the CDR system. Water in the crankcase after 6 hours of cold pressure testing at 17psi. I had NO water or pressure leaks at 15-16psi for shorter periods of time. A word on oil/antifreeze mixing, with my problem I never found any antifreeze/water in the oil until the cold testing. When I got it apart I found LOTS of "black oil jelly". It would seem that the new antifreeze and oil(delvac1300) mix rather nice and turn into this sticky black s**t that fills up your engine. My push rods, timing cover, block and valve covers were full of this stuff. And with no high oil levels or other visiable problems other than the low-coolant light twice. I'm not sure if you'll be able to see the pictures but give it a try. If not then I will try to update it. This block was one of the "new enhanced 506" blocks. The one I will be putting in is a new AM General long block supposed with a new casting company that changed the cast composition. Hopefully things will work out better. I will eventually be selling off the good parts of my old motor. Top end stuff and pistons/crank, new timing set ect.... Once Iget everthing together I will post in the classifieds.
Has anyone ever tried to get any help from GM with these cracked blocks? I would think that maybe they could at least give us a good price on replacements! $6k for a AMG long block 3yr/50kmiles. :eek: Not cheap.
Hope everyone can enjoy looking at my nifty new end table! :D
L8r
Conley Janssen
USMC 87-93
http://cards.webshots.com/cp-83717514-axwT-album/168809837pLLjnS

[ 07-30-2004, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: Dvldog 8793 ]

Kennedy
07-29-2004, 08:14
I'm just glad I caught you before you had the heads off in chassis and called scratching yourhead wondering where the leak could be. Or worse yet freshened the heads/gaskets without any improvement. Believe me, I've taken these calls before. :eek:

I've gone to only NEW blocks with the reman company that I deal with also. The only aggravation is that we are running 3weeks plus lead time at present...

computer monkey
07-29-2004, 09:27
Is your block cracked in the number eight cylinder at the 5 o'clock position near the top?

Dvldog 8793
07-29-2004, 10:52
Compmonkey-
The block crack started at the oil hole under the main bearing and split the web and continued up about 1/4 the way into the #6 and #8 cylinder. I wish I could get the pictures to post, I'll keep working on it.
L8r
Conley

Mainous
07-29-2004, 11:12
I feel for you. I was in the same position that you are in a year ago. I was fortunate enough to find a newer "enhanced" block and I put one together myself for a lot less money than a long block. If you have a local machine shop that you trust you can put together a much better engine using the info from this forum. It will generally be cheaper too. By the way the 506 casting number carried over into the new blocks as well. Look for the difference in the engine mount bolt bosses to identify the newer block.

Uncle Wally
07-29-2004, 13:44
Devildog,

Keep me in mind when it comes time to pawn off yer engine. I need to replace at least the crank in a 93 that I just picked up. I am interested, but I also need to pull the one out to see how bad everything really is.

Thanks,
Waldo

John, you might have a sudden boost in sales again for the next year with this new addition! <<laughes>>

Dvldog 8793
07-29-2004, 14:49
Waldo-
Seems like you would be a great canidate to get the remains of my engine as we are in the same state. I don't have to worry about boxing stuff up and you can save in shipping.
I'll hang onto everything for awhile...
everyone else---
Supposedly this new block is made by AM general in a different plant with new material and better casting methods. I'll find out. Does anyone know if the bolt mounts carried into the AMG blocks?
Thanks
L8r
Conley

Mainous
07-29-2004, 15:04
The "Enhanced " block is the same one you are talking about. It is manufactured at the Navistar plant north of Springfield, Ohio. I've included a link for identification purposes.

http://home.cinci.rr.com/mainous/EnhancedBlkID.htm

Best of luck with it. It was a frustrating time for me but was very educational and I'm so much happier with the truck.

rjschoolcraft
07-29-2004, 15:44
I just had the pan off of my engine yesterday to install an oil temperature sending unit.

While in there, I used a mirror to look in the bottom of one cylinder bore (the only one I could get to) and saw two oil jet holes. One large one, like the older in the photo link above, and one small one, like the newer in the photo link. Both in the same cylinder. This block has the newer style main caps as shown in the photo and is a 506 casting. Why are there two holes? Any ideas?

I couldn't see any cracks anywhere, which is a relief. This engine was installed as a long block under warranty in June of 2000 and now has 150,000 miles on it.

computer monkey
07-29-2004, 15:50
Here is a link to some pictures I took of mine AM General before install. They start with P*.jpg. They are around 900kb each.

http://www.n2outdrs.com/engine/

Mainous
07-29-2004, 16:16
Ronnie,

The big hole is not the spray jet. It is actually the inside main bolt drilled completely through. Look at the pisture again. You can see the smaller jet. They stopped doing that on the newer block. My guess is that you have a hybrid of the two if you have the thicker caps. I updated the caption on the webpage to better explain that.

Dvldog 8793
07-29-2004, 19:07
Howdy
My Block has the 506 cast numbers, the small jets and the proper bolt holes on the outside. however it does NOT have the navistar logo. This really turning into a learning experience! As I said before the cracks in my block are fairly large, at least compared to other cracks that I've seen. I am amazed that the motor held together at all. Does anyone have any tips as to how to post pictures? A good website? any other info?
Waldo-
I looked a little closer at the crank, pistons, cam ect... They all look pretty good, minmal wear. This engine had 140,000 miles on it but when I pulled her apart I was amazed. Factory crosshatch still very sharp and NO ridge, all the pistons slide right out! When I get some time and can borrow a big mic, I'll check things better.
L8r
Conley

rjschoolcraft
07-29-2004, 19:25
Mainous,

In the old picture, is that shiney spot the old jet? What is different between the old and the new jets?

tom.mcinerney
07-29-2004, 20:47
John Kennedy--Good call, and suggestions on the problem.

Dvldog--
>>Does anyone have any tips as to how to post pictures? A good website
I haven't yet taken the step of posting pics... however, the following has been used by some folks to advantage, and it was reportedly free:

<http://www.ofoto.com/>

Regrets regarding the demise of your prime mover.

Dvldog 8793
07-30-2004, 03:09
Howdy
Lets try this:
http://cards.webshots.com/cp-83717514-axwT-album/168809837pLLjnS
See what happens.
This picture stuff is almost as much work as pulling a motor!
L8r
Conley

Kennedy
07-30-2004, 05:25
The main bore for the spray jets was downsized in the 99ish period, so all blocks with a "0" and possiblty "9" Julian date should be better albeit a minor change. The spray jet holes in Conley's block are larger thn the main oil feed hole :rolleyes: which is absolutely ridiculous.

The new blacks aren't changed in a huge way, so I hope they have what it takes.

Myself, it's splayed caps or nothing. Gotta stiffen up the block and keep it from twisting...