PDA

View Full Version : Tire wear

Murf
02-03-2004, 07:41
Got to looking at the trailer tires and noticed unusual wear on the inside of one of the forward tires (2 on each side) Its the only tire that is showing that kind of wear ie balding on the inside half of the tire - about 10,000 mi on tires and trailer. Any ideas on what I should do? Thanks Murf

Rockin
02-03-2004, 08:51
FWiW I had the leaf spring break on the front axle of a trailer (posted about it yesterday) and the inside of the front tire has uneven wear. That side of the front axle was clearly shifted rearward.

With that in mind, you might measure the axle location to see if the axles are aligned.

Is it still under warranty? Let the manufacturer pay.

tanker
02-03-2004, 15:01
As Rockin said, measure. 1st. measure from the center of the ball coupler, to the center of the axle on each side. They should be exactly the same. Now measure from the center of each axle on each side, that should also be the same from each side. If they are ok, then look to see if you have a bent spindle. Did you hit a big pothole, or did someone bend it in shipping. If its cupping, it could be out of balance. Not many people balance their trailer tires, but I do. You won't feel it in the tow vehicle, but it will wear out a tire. I also broke a spring leaf just east of Cody Wyoming, and had to have it replaced at a small shop. He only replaced one spring. You guessed it, out of alignment, and I had to replace one tire, then replaced all my springs with matching center holes.
See what you have with a tape measure. Use a helper, and it might be easier with the wheels removed for an accurate measurement from coupler to center of axle. smile.gif

HowieE
02-03-2004, 15:40
If your ball to front spindle measurement checks out OK. A trick is to take an 8ft. florecent light bulb, a great straight edge, and lay it up against the tires about center height off the ground. The bulb should touch all 4 tire surfaces at the same time. If it does not you will quickly see why the tire is waring.