PDA

View Full Version : Need New 5th Wheel Hitch

LanduytG
06-14-2004, 07:26
Got my new 04 GMC Ext Cab Short bed this past Friday. I just got back from the shop that I have always used for hitch work and they say that I can't use my old hitch and that I need a new one with a slide.

My question is as long as I can turn without out the trailer hitting anything way do I need a sliding hitch? I was going to upgrade from a 14K to a 15K anyway becasue I have been in places that it would be nice to have the trailer not bind up.

Greg

JoeyD
06-14-2004, 10:04
Don't know what hitch but didn't you just buy a Dodge truck?

urcndust
06-14-2004, 10:10
The slider is a nice "insurance policy" to have if you are in tight spaces. I was able to just buy the slides for my Reese hitch and use the original 5th wheel plate. I don't know if I've ever needed my slider, but I do whenever I pull into a campground just to be safe.
Congrats on the new truck too.

LanduytG
06-14-2004, 14:12
DODGE!!!! NO WAY IN HE!!. GM all the way.

urcndust
I just don't see way you need a slide as long as you can turn the trailer without hitting anything. My guy said I could not buy just the slider. I hate it when you can't get a straight answer from anyone. I don't mind spending a buck if I have to but if I can use part of the old I should be told. They were going to get to install it anyway. Did you get yours locally? I'm not the far from and northern Ind. might be the best place to get it.

Greg

urcndust
06-14-2004, 17:49
Greg, I purchased just the slide rails from Dan's in Elkhart. He makes his living installing hitches etc. and I have always found him to be a straight shooter, no BS. In fact, he installed the hitch on the rear of my 5th wheel so I can pull my boat. I too was told I needed a whole slider hitch by another dealer, thats why I went to Dan's and asked him. I figured if I got the same story from two dealers, they must be telling it straight. Just found the bill tonight while cleaning out the glove box it was 260.00 plus tax in 2002 and used my plate and cross piece. As I said, mine is a Reese 14k. I pull a coachmen with the extended pin and can turn mine about 70 degrees without hitting the cab corners. I've been in some tight campgrounds with lots of trees and the last thing I remember to watch for is the trailer hitting the truck, so by sliding it back, it's just one less thing for me to concentrate on. (short attention span)
I'm not saying you need it, it's just that one time you might and you will be glad you have it.

LanduytG
06-14-2004, 18:25
What I have is a 14k also, I will call Dan's in the morning and see. Don't know if I need the king pin extension yet or not. If I need one I hope I can get it for ine. Its a Carri Lite buts its and 86 model.

Greg

HDMXDiesel0817
06-14-2004, 18:31
Greg,

Eric has a 16k if you want a lil more towing...ask him about his. All I know it's a Reese 5th wheel. I guess they say that you need the slide in the even that you have one end heavier than the other to try and evenly distribute the load. That's as far as my thinking takes me, other than keeping it so it won't hit the cab. But if you're pulling the same 5'er you shouldn't need to move the 5th wheel anyways. Guess it's in the even that you buy another one or something too.

Jon

urcndust
06-15-2004, 03:16
My trailer came with the king pin extended forward instead of straight down. It does give you a little more clearance for the short bed truck. My suggestion would be to get the rails installed, hook up the trailer and see how sharp of corners you can turn before purchasing the slides. If you have more questions, you can email me off the board at tarata at sbcglobal dot net.
Tom

David Utz
06-15-2004, 04:17
Like most things in life, it is a compromise. I was told by one dealer that I could not pull a fifth wheel with a short bed truck (in the days before sliders) and another said it was no problem and that we do it all the time. I pulled a 28.5 foot 5er for 6 years with that short bed and never had any problems. It can be done, but all it takes is one careless moment and the cost of the body work and the new back window make the cost of the slider look cheap. It is a risk that you can choose to take or not to take.

arveetek
06-15-2004, 08:06
Whether to get a slider or not is a very relative question. That means it depends solely on the combination of the truck and trailer used.

What I often try to do is get the trailer and truck together, and before installing the hitch, so how tight I can turn the truck compared to the trailer. I try and get the kingpin in the center of the bed, back up the truck to the trailer at an angle, and see how close I can get. If I can get the the kingpin over the axle, and still have clearance between the cab and trailer, then I can install a standard hitch with no slider.

Usually I mount the fifth-wheel hitches on shortbeds directly over the axle, instead of 2" in front.

If the trailer has the king pin pointing straight down, with the front of the trailer out past the front of the king pin, then you will have clearance issues.

If the trailer has the king pin extended out, then you should be fine.

You can purchase the slider portion for a Reese hitch separately.

Reese has changed it's designations, and no longer makes the 14K hitch. Now they make the 15K as the standard hitch, and the 16K as the swivel type. However, the slider portion will fit the 14K, 15K, and 16K hitches just fine.

Casey

LanduytG
06-16-2004, 17:51
Stopped at a place today to get a set of nerf bars. They sell Reese hitches and a 15K with slider was 595 installed. Without slide 499.

Greg

tanker
06-17-2004, 01:47
Greg, did you look at www.pullrite.com (http://www.pullrite.com) ? They have a neat slider. They also have a video showing it. I have a "PullRite" hitch on my Suburban (no not a 5th. wheel! :rolleyes: ) They are nicest people I've dealt with. Its worth a look or a phone call. Regards, Tom. ;)

99gmccrew
06-21-2004, 21:39
I really like my hidden hitch 18k slider. Same price as the reese 16k. Slides a little farther for even more clearance. I think it slides 12" compared to only 9" for the reese. A little more added protection. Also has round rails that don't bind when sliding like the square rails sometimes do. ;)

Wing'n'it
06-27-2004, 14:41
Greg, as one of the posters above said, it only takes a moment of inattention to make the cost of a slider look cheap. Also, while it is possible to tow a 5th wheel using a short bed, you may have limitations in your ability to manevuer.

Some quick measurements might help you in your decision. Measure the width of the 5'ver, divide by two. Measure from the latch for the kingpin on the hitch to the back of the cab. If it's more than half of the width of the 5'ver you should be able to turn 90 degrees without hitting the cab. If it's less, you are going to be restricted to how tight a turn you can make. You maybe able to play with the location of the hitch in the bed if you are close to gain a couple of inches, however, most installers won't mount the hitch behind the axle because of handling issues.

My .02 worth. Congratulations on the new truck!

Regards, Mike

96ccdd
07-05-2004, 17:57
Greg, I just purchased a new 5er and am also going with the Reese slider. The PullRite is very nice but cost $1300. The following was copied right from Reeses web page.

Round Tube Slider

Designed for 15K and 16K Models
10" Travel
Round tube design allows for smoother operation
Operation from either side of unit
Operates even when vehicle not in straight line; operation up to 45