PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a trailer, what's involved with the purchase of one?

HDMXDiesel0817
06-14-2004, 16:50
Hey all!

I am looking for a trailer, I don't know much about them or what's involved with the purchse and ownership of them. But perhaps you guys can help me before I start looking. As far as travel trailers go what's a good brand to go with? Price? Sizes, etc. etc.?

What's involved with the purchase of one? Registration, insurance? All that good stuff.

I'm thinking 5th wheel is probably the best way to go, because it'll track better and be a better ride all together. What brands are good brands? Are there brands to stay away from? I've seen Montana, Coachman, and some others on the road, Montanas look nice from the outside. What's your opinion about these and any brand not mentioned? I guess that's all I have for now, if I come up with more questions I'll be sure to put them down.

Thanks in advance.

Jon

David Utz
06-15-2004, 03:56
First, I would spend some time over at Trailer Life Forums (http://www.trailerlife.com/forums/index.cfm/CFB/1.cfm). Don't believe everything you read. Some posters don't have a clue and just repeat stories. But topics come up that will cover almost any question. If you see a brand that you think you like, do a forum search of that brand and you will see if people are reporting problems. It's a very busy site with thousands of posts each week.

rjschoolcraft
06-15-2004, 04:09
That's good advice. Most trailer brands have their advantages and disadvantages. The best thing you can do besides search forums is go look at several and ask questions. Go to several different dealers and get a feel for what you like, then get serious about researching those particular features.

[ 06-16-2004, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: ronniejoe ]

HDMXDiesel0817
06-15-2004, 09:00
I joined the RVnet last night ( I know another forum, sheesh) I'll probably head up to Syracuse to check out the dealer up there and ask some questions. Suppose I could also search online and either download/request brochures on them too.

What types of brake controllers are popular?

David Utz
06-15-2004, 11:12
TEKONSHA PRODIGY or JORDAN 2020 ULTIMA
You can't go wrong with ether. The Prodigy is the best of the electronic controllers and the Ultima is mechanically linked to the brake pedal. Both will give good reliable performance and predictable braking.

HDMXDiesel0817
06-15-2004, 15:48
Thanks Dave :D

Inspector
06-15-2004, 18:28
First you must know what your tow vehicle can safly tow. Do some research as to what your truck or suburban, excursion or what ever is powered with and what its particular gross combined towing capacity is.
Then consider the trailer and its empty and gross weight and build in a safty margin in your calculations.
If you get a trailer that is to heavy for your tow vehicle you will work vehicle to death and not have an enjoyable experience.
You must have enough power to do what you want to do and do it safly. Of course one can have a 500hp 1/2 ton that will not be safe towing.
Figure in a top quality hitch and assessorys and you will be happy.
Safty is the key word when ever considering a trailer and tow vehicle combination.

Denny

96ccdd
06-16-2004, 13:03
I agree with building in a safety margin, some dealers will try to sell you the largest trailer possible buy first asking what are you towing with. Shop around, read and ask alot of queastions. Remember the only stupid queastion is the one you don't ask. Happy Hunting

Mark

99gmccrew
06-17-2004, 08:12
It appears you have a short bed, as do I. I bought my 5th wheel not nowing about trailers. I love the way they tow. You won't get blown all over the road when passing 18 wheelers on the highway. I feel very stable when towing. Having said that be sure to get the proper 5th wheel hitch for your short bed. You'll need a sliding hitch with your shortbed because of the lack of clearance. Just to let you know, they are not cheap! Shop around, you can find some good prices on the internet and some sites give free shipping.

MTTwister
06-17-2004, 09:24
When you get to that point - start comparing floor plans and layouts. We occassionally cruise thru the trailers just to looky-see - and some nice looking outfits have some funky floor plans that just aren't gonna hack it.

How many people do you have to accomodate? etc.

5th wheeler - - I'd check out the traffic flow around / thru a center bath and cooking areas, usable closet space, Location of cooking area versus entry door ( 2 doors would be nice) , slide out living area seems like a big bang.. and enough windows that you can see out and let light and ventilation in. ( What's with all the big glass and only tiny openings at the bottom?)

Haven't seen any trailer made that couldn't use some 'improvements" if you know what I mean. tongue.gif

HowieE
06-17-2004, 11:59
All of the comments noted above are good and should be in the back of your mind as you go looking. I would suggest you consider a used trailer or rent a few weekends if it is your first time. You will quickly relize the features you do and do not have in your first trailer and it can be very expensive to start of with a new one.
In the end it almost always come down to personal taste, some like lots of bric-a-back and some prefer plain and functional, some want lots of outside storage for stuff, a shortage in far to many trailers, some want a slide out for the space inside and some don't what that extra 1000 lbs to haul around, some state and federal parks have size limits that may effect you depending on where you want to camp. Are you going to be a weekender or spend 3 months in Fl each winter. Weekenders live outside while snowbirds live inside.

Inspector
06-17-2004, 12:11
All that said, "Be Safe" :D :D :D :D
Denny

David Utz
06-18-2004, 03:45
One additional idea. If you can take some of the factory tours, you can get an idea of how these things are put together. Each manufacturer will tell you what the competition builds and why brand X is better. After two or three tours, you will have an idea of what is good and bad in RV construction and which nook and crannies to look into. Caution: This usually means spending more money because you will not except some of the low quality (cheaper) units being produced. Then on the trip home, stop in at several of the larger RV dealers along the way and see what is available in your price range and weight limit. By the time you get home, You will probably know as much or more than most of the salesmen. When you have found what you want, can afford, and can safely pull, then start looking for a dealer with a good price. Late summer and fall are usually the best deals as the dealers dump old models to make room for the next years stock.

jjackson
06-18-2004, 05:45
Jon, like cars/trucks, etc, you will find people who have had problems w/every make/model, and you'll find others who swear by that same model that others have had problems with. I have had 3 RV's, 2 travel trailers and my current 5th wheel. My last two have been manufactured by Forest River. I bought a new 2000 30Ft Sierra TT in May of 1999 and pulled it over 26,000 miles in 3 years. I then traded it in for a new 2003 Cardinal 33ft 5th wheel by Forest River. I have pulled it over 16,000 miles with no problems. We have one of the largest RV Shows in the country here in Tampa every January, and we are yet to find similar units with the floor plan (we have real living) we like as well as ours, and the amount of storage space. As we travel around the country, we have received may positive comments about the looks of the unit. There are only two of us, and we have found that the 33ft is more than adaquate for us, I personally would not want to go any larger. Loaded, I am right at 13,000 lbs, my D/A handles it very well.

John

MTTwister
06-18-2004, 08:15
JJ-Dmax, etc. Those double sliders are really cool. Question - some floor plans have the "kitchen" on a slider. Has anyone had experience with this set-up? More Problem prone than a fixed kitchen area? ( one would initially think so ). In my mind the Trick is to get the most livalbe space without hauling around a 'mobile home' smile.gif I used to have a 21' bumper pull - kinda decided that 21' behind the truck is about all I would want to go, ( my minds made up, don't confuse me with facts.. ) . That mindset really cuts down on floor plan options. Anyhoo, enjoy the window shopping.

zip
06-18-2004, 16:26
There are a lot of Montanas on the road. On one of the RV websites, I think www.irv2.com, (http://www.irv2.com,) there were threads about problems with the rear axle.
IMO, the 5'er is the way to go. We haul a 30.5 ft Fleetwood Terry.It's been pretty dependable other than the slideout leaking during rainstorms and carpet fading after 8 yrs. I think I would look closely at Sunnybrook for a first time 5'er. They're gettin a lot of good reviews. I've seen a brochure-- and they are pretty good looking. A lot better than my Terry.
The kitchen slide gives a trailer a good bit more room, so that's getting to be a popular design. The big concern tho, is with flex tubing water and gas lines getting pinched when the slide moves in. So ya gotta look to see how they're routed and tied down.
David, how does your 2500HD handle the Travel Supreme? Man, what a nice 5'er! I thought they were a little too heavy for the 2500.

David Utz
06-19-2004, 10:14
Zip,
It does well. We did 5500 miles with it last year with the 2003 Rendezvous in Montana as the farthest point. We pulled it all around Yellowstone and never hit a hill that slowed us to less than 45 MPH. Most 6-7% grades can be taken at 50-60 MPH. The grade braking handled all down hills up to about 8% without having to add any pedal. 8 -10% down grades required occasional pedal use to keep the speed from climbing. This is at about 21,000 Gross combined weight with no mods. The trailer is very stable and only occasionally shifts enough to feel while passing other traffic. It's most evident when being overtaken on the left and there is a sustained airflow disruption on one side. Mileage for the trip averaged 11.29 MPG With a high of 20.95 (solo at 45 mph around Yellowstone) and a low of 7.85 MPG doing 70 MPH back across Kansas with a 25 mph quartering head wind. The trailer has two slides and a rear kitchen. Pin weight puts the truck over GVWR but under both front and rear axles ratings and well under GCWR. The bed drops about two inches when you add the trailer and sits level with the load. I will go to 265 tires when the original tires wear out to give me a little more load cushion.
Pictures (http://community.webshots.com/album/99561646DVcaId)