PDA

View Full Version : flatbed trailer value???

dieseldummy
02-11-2004, 08:59
Hi,
I was wondering what everyone thought a gooseneck flatbed trailer with 32' deck and a 4' dovetail was worth. The tires are in ok shape, it isn't twisted and hasn't been wreck. It was owned by the local john deere dealership and was used to haul utility tractors and small equipment around. It has been maintained and not abused. It has however been pulled quite a few miles, two pickups worth, and is older. It also has diamond treadplate on the floor. I beleive that they are asking $4700 for it and was wondering how outragious this is, or if everyone thought that this is a good deal.
Thanks,
Justin

ropinfool
02-11-2004, 11:46
Well before anyone can really answer that question we need more answers. Tandem axle? Weight rating, brakes on all wheels? Do they work? Breakaway system? Electric or hydraulic? Check for bearing play, does it have a wood deck with diamond plate on top of it? Is the wood any good? Etc..... John

Turbine Doc
02-11-2004, 12:43
$6250 is what I paid new for a 9T rated GN, dual axle/wheel, electric breakaway, oil splash lube bearings, wood deck 19'(23 with tail).

I looked at used, unless you know the trailer personally; you need to be anal about the inspection, I was told by a professional trucking friend of mine that this is one area to not try to save a buck on; safe carry of your load and your longevity is what you are counting on the trailer to provide.

You put a lot of money and effort in your tow rig and not cutting corners, why would you do it on your trailer. That is why I went with new; I know bearings are new, also know how many miles since last bearing/brake service, and reasonably certain trailer has never been overloaded.

My rig is over factory limit by a huge margin, but I've upgraded power, transmission, brakes, and suspension to compensate, with limited tows I do I feel I'm safe. Another area make sure load binders and chains are also up to the load rating.

There is more to pulling a trailer than just hooking up to it. You probably knew all above but I put it in for benefit of those that don't.

markelectric
02-11-2004, 14:21
Depending on the weight rating, I think I can buy a new one for that ammount. You may want to use ebay for a comparison.......

dieseldummy
02-11-2004, 16:05
Sorry guys, I always leave important stuff out. It has tandem dual 10K axles, no wood deck under the steel one, and has electric brakes on all four hubs. It has been maintained very well, and I would feel safe pulling it down the road. The JD dealer upgraded the trailer when he bought a new pickup this fall.
Thanks,
Justin

Tough Guy
02-11-2004, 17:22
It sounds like you could work some magic and do better on price....

Call Kennedy he also sells trailers he'll know exactly what its worth...

Cheers

Tractor
02-12-2004, 18:26
dieseldummy
If I was you I would check with a local dealer, maybe one you know or have delt with before. Scott Murdock Trailers Sales is at Fort Collins, I have bought from him before. I have been looking all over for a new flatbed to replace my 82 Jackson. Been pricing them within a 500 mile radius. That price seems at least a thousand to much on a used trailer that has worn out two trucks. Cheyenne also has a dealer that has a fair inventory.
TRACTOR

dieseldummy
02-12-2004, 21:15
Well, I was assuming that the price was to high because this particular dealership doesn't move much used equipment because of price. What do you think a reasonable price for this trailer would be?
Me and a friend have been discussing building a trailer, we have the resources and experience, so that may be the route to go. For the same or less money we can have a trailer built exactly the way we want. We are considering putting air bags under it for suspension and a few "extras" like that :D . Just a thought though. Thanks for the advice.
Justin

Rockin
02-13-2004, 06:16
It is a little off topic but what is a dovetail gooseneck?

dieseldummy
02-13-2004, 07:27
It is a trailer that hooks the the gooseneck ball in the bed of a pickup, has a flat deck, with the last 4-5' that folde down at a 45degree angle so you can put ramps out and load equipment. This isn't the best description, but it covers the basic idea. Maybe someone else can describe it better for ya.
Justin