PDA

View Full Version : What is V-5 Rating?

Chris611
03-09-2005, 06:59
When I am looking at trailer hitches I keep seeing a V-5 rating. I find charts, trailer & tongue weight loads for Class I - IV, but nothing for a V-5 rating. What is the V-5 Rating? I have found the SAE standard for Classes I - IV. All I can find is V-5 is from VESC (Vehicle Equipment Safety Commission). Looks like a lot of state documents reference this, but none specify what it is.

THanks
Chris

Chris611
03-09-2005, 07:14
I may have found my own answer...thought I would post it and see if it sounds right to people or not...(never know if what you find on the web is right or not). I found at this web site: http://www.4reese.com/hitchtips.htm , they say that the V-5 rating is simply refering to the quality of steel used in the production of the hitch, not the weight rating. If this is true, I would still like to find out what the rating means. Is it the type of steel, A36, M-1040, A 572 GD 50, etc..) or some other measure?

Chris

tanker
03-09-2005, 16:10
Hi Chris, well according to what information I have, it is the tensel strength of the steel and the construction of the receiver hitch. I have a class V Reese #45016 receiver on my truck. I removed the factory receiver and replaced it with this unit. This is rated at 14,000 lbs. Weight distributing. My trailer is 12,000lbs and I did not wish to push the issue, as it was too close to the factory rating. Mine also has a 2-1/2" square receiver tube in lieu of the 2" tube, and my solid shank ball mount is also 2-1/2", and it is rated at 18,000lbs. I was not impressed with the stock unit which is very lite in my eyes, and it must be about half the weight of the Reese unit. Hope this helps you. smile.gif