PDA

View Full Version : Towing TT using Drive and tow-haul mode

Shorty
03-10-2005, 12:18
Looking for comments on towing 28" Jayco with 2002 D/A probably gross 13000 not much of a load for the Duramax from what I've been reading.But I have some 10-11 thousand passes to pull next month.Just bought the truck last month, Had a 6.2 and replaced it with a 6.5 in a Suburban in the eighties,looking foreward to sailing over the passes next month lol. Byron

96ccdd
03-12-2005, 08:22
I tow a 30' 5ver with twin slides. When I run the back roads I use the Tow/Haul mode But once on the interstate I use reg drive. I have had the truck for almost a yr with no trouble at all.

Brian DMT
03-24-2005, 14:03
Shorty - keep in mind how the Tow/Haul works and why it's there. Sure, it's designed for trailering over 10k lbs, but the big thing is that it's designed to reduce strain/wear on the Allison. In T/H the converter locks up in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, it favors higher rpms, it eliminates nuisance-shifting/gear-hunting, and it downshifts with TC lockup upon braking to use engine compression in order to reduce brake temperatures. So 96CCD's practice is good, as long as you're on fairly flat interstate and the Allison stays in 5th. But then, under those conditions you won't see a difference between standard and T/H. However, when you talk about hill climbs and descents, and on/off-ramps, T/H mode is the best choice - for reasons above.

fyrfightr
03-25-2005, 16:06
I tow a 31' 5th wheel, 9800 lbs. I run it hard cause I'm always in a hurry. I keep it in tow/haul and in overdrive. By the way it's a 2001 with 96000 miles on it. I change the trans fluid and filter every 25000 miles.....

Shorty
03-27-2005, 13:49
Thanks for the replies, leaving for Colorado this Wed. will let you know how the D/A and I get along.

dmaxstu
04-05-2005, 07:03
I own a 2002 dmax/allison since it was new with 52000 miles on it 40000 of those miles towing a TT. I have come to the conclusion that as soon as you hook onto any kind of trailer you should turn the T/H on. Also when you are in stop and go traffic you should also use it. the allison transmission in the PU trucks are the 1000 model, that same transmission is also used in motorhomes and MD trucks and is then the Allison 2000 which is permanetely in the tow/haul mode.I have found that when towing the temperature stays down much more when using the tow/haul mode. Stu

Inspector
04-07-2005, 20:40
What Dmaxstu said. :D :D :D :D
Denny

flyingbassplayer
04-27-2005, 15:28
I haul a 11,700 lb 37 foot Titanium 5th wheel and follow the same practice as 96ccdd. It works for me.

Chris Curran
05-04-2005, 04:15
Tow-haul mode... Ya mean "racing gear"? smile.gif What's the consensus regarding running TH mode when NOT towing? Not at highway speeds, but in-town, in heavy traffic for short periods of time...

DmaxMaverick
05-04-2005, 09:53
Originally posted by Chris Curran:
Tow-haul mode... Ya mean "racing gear"? smile.gif What's the consensus regarding running TH mode when NOT towing? Not at highway speeds, but in-town, in heavy traffic for short periods of time... Won't hurt anything but your economy. I use it in the summer to keep the A/C pumping out icy air when it's 110

duranash
05-05-2005, 04:22
I've been using TH in town (empty) on cold mornings when I need to make a short trip. Helps get the thing up to operating temp.

Jerry D. Davis
05-11-2005, 10:03
With so many TT haulers replyig to this message I thought someone out there might have a solution to an annoying characteristic of my 2002 2500 Duramax. When accelerating slowly (like in stop and go traffic) the enging has a momentary acceleration just as the transmission shifts to the next higher gear. There is no change in throtle position and the increase in RPM lasts only about a second. Three dealers have told me they can feel what I am talking about but since there are not codes showing there is nothing they can do about it. This happens towing or not and in T-H and not in T-H. Any thoughts? Thanks

Jim Brzozowski
05-12-2005, 08:50
Jerry, mine has done that quite a bit on light pedal pressure. Its like it deceided to shift and completed the shift faster than it could defuel so there is that momentary surge forward then back to normal. My accelerator is so sensitive that when I go across bumps in a parking lot in first gear I have to press the side of my foot against the carpet to lock it in place or else the sligest movement causes acceleration. I've gotten so used to it I don't mind. I've always been one to want instant response when I move my foot. Thats why I love low rpm torque engines. I don't see a problem unless its too dramatic, it so better take it to the dealer something may not be controlling the voltage that the petal sees to tell the computer what to do.