PDA

View Full Version : Towing triple?

99gmccrew
06-21-2004, 21:03
Anybody out there ever tow triple? What I mean is does anyone tow two trailers at the same time? I want to tow atv's behind my fifth wheel. Does anyone have any experience with this? My Dad says he sees people doing this , but I never have. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

arveetek
06-22-2004, 05:51
There's lots of folks in my neck of the woods that tow boats, small flatbeds with atv's, or enclosed trailers behind their fifth-wheels. However, I would recommend you check your local laws to find out if it is legal or not. I think some states ban that sort of towing.

You'll want to make sure you have a sturdy hitch mounted on the rear of the fifth-wheel. If you have a square tube bumper, I suggest you stay away from the hitches that clamp over that style of bumper. Those bumpers are made of very thin material, and can bend easily. I suggest you have a custom receiver hitch mounted to the frame.

Of course, triple towing is only recommend when using a 5th wheel, with a convential trailer behind. You can't do this safely with two convential trailers.

Casey

urcndust
06-22-2004, 07:32
GMC, I tow triple all the time, but you must know each states towing requirements and even if they allow it. I found this link for all the state laws towing. www.blueox.us/instructions/towing-laws.pdf (http://www.blueox.us/instructions/towing-laws.pdf)
My hitch was professionally installed and welded to the frame of my fifth wheel. I tow my 17' fishing boat and I'm 62' total length.(front bumber to tip on the motor) I've never had a problem in Indiana, Michigan or Ohio. Good luck and drive safe. There is always some idiot that will pull out in front of you just so you can try out the brakes.

DmaxMaverick
06-22-2004, 18:48
Towing doubles in CA is legal. A CDL (commercial driver license) with medical card is required, as is many other things, such as...

GCWR of the tow vehicle still applies.

Max. length is 65'.

The only legal combination is, truck, 5th wheel, pull trailer, in that order.

Some cities, residentiel areas, and zones don't allow them. Watch for signs.

Because of your probable gross weight, brakes are required on all axles. Even if the ATV trailer isn't independently required.

You don't have to scale, but the commercial CHP will stop you if he has nothing better to do. Be prepared for an inspection. If you pass, you will get a sticker, good for 3 months. Careful here, they can be real anal. Most are nice, and do the same things you do on the weekends.

Mirrors. They still have to give you center-lane visibility within 200' to the rear, even though you are longer.

You should go to DMV for further info. They probably won't have a clue what you are talking about, but have a book to give you.

99gmccrew
06-22-2004, 19:54
Thanks to all for the excellent advice.

Steve

David Utz
06-23-2004, 03:33
I would suggest looking into one of the rear view camera/monitors if you decide to double up. The last trailer is usually much smaller than the one in front of it and not visible in the mirrors. A camera is usually the only way to see what going on back there.