PDA

View Full Version : Right truck for the job?

travD1
03-13-2005, 08:31
Need some advice. I am needing to tow a 24 ft gooseneck flatbed tandem/dually eq. trailer and haul a 6,000 lb bobcat (used as a forklift) as well as weights up to 8-10,000 pounds for a delivery business. I am in between a Dmax 3500 dually flatbed and a larger truck like the topkick. I think I am in the right area w/ the 3500..any help would be great.
Bruce

Steve N AZ
03-13-2005, 09:10
I have a dually w/ pu bed 4x4. And the truck weighs 7900 LBS; I'm towing a 7200 lb 50' trailer with a 12,600 payload. Just under 28K (little heavy)

So your truck probably will weigh about the same in the 7900 range. The flat bed probably weighs more than the stock bed, but the difference in a 4x2 may balance out. Either way lets say 8K lbs, your hauling up 10K payload so now you

travD1
03-13-2005, 13:59
THANKS VERY MUCH FOR THE ADVICE. I THINK U R RIGHT ON. I GUESS I NEED TO SEE WHAT THE COSTS ARE TO KEEP A CDL AND LICENSE THE LARGER TRUCK, OR STAY AT THE 3500.

THANKS AGAIN

Coldfront
03-13-2005, 15:47
Although I think you would be OK with the 3500, Monroe makes a real nice pu bed for the Kodiak we sell a lot thru our Chevy store.A bit High though. jim Your source for Chevrolet's in No. Illinois

MartyB
03-14-2005, 14:15
Get a 4500, better turning radius, better visibility out the front window, bigger longer lasting brakes, more window sq inches, you can see over everyone else, so when there is a distraction ahead, you see it!

I went with a Navistar a few years back with a V8 diesel, In my case, I got a stronger tranny too, along with a 188" WB truck that will turn in a smaller diam than my 165" GM crew cab! Brakes last 2-3 times as long too!

The difference between a 35 and a 45, is peanuts when you also look at operating cost savings of the bigger chassis, the 45 will be less money to operate down the road than a 35.

Tractor
03-14-2005, 18:19
travD1
I think that all the replys have been correct for you. Only you know your traffic in your area. You stated in another post it was going to be local hauling. Your trailer you said weighs 7,000lbs. If your trailer brakes are set right, they should come on a touch before your truck brakes. The dually flatbeds have great brakes. Todays trucks have great breaks and tranys. Local hauling, the 3500 will do the job very nicely. If you are going to long haul over the road a bit try the 5500. It is built heavier to handle the long miles of the trailer jerking on the frame as you are pulling down the road and up the hills. Most trailer frames are built with 12lb to 19lb per foot steel frames. My dually tandem axle gooseneck flatbed has a deck of 25ft, 19lb per foot frame and heavy flip over ramps that level off to add to the traler length. It weighs 7500lbs. I have a dually 1 ton 6 speed DIESEL. I then load it from there. I have weighed over 31,000lbs total weight. With no problem in pulling or breaking safely. I have been pulling goosenecks for 30 years. Since I was 15. SAFELY is my point. What works for one might or might not work for somebody else, your area and hills come into effect. Keep us up to date on what you find out that works for you.
TRACTOR