PDA

View Full Version : Adding a 3rd Axle???

CareyWeber
06-24-2004, 00:07
All,

I have a 18' flatbed trailer with two 3500lb axles (GVW 7,000) however I to be able to carry more than 4,900lbs (trailer is 2,200lbs).

I thought of swapping to two 5,200lb or two 6,000lb axles, but when you add wheels and tires in its alot.

What about just adding a third 3,500lb axle to my trailer?

Carey

David Utz
06-24-2004, 04:08
For the time, effort, and cost involved, You are probably better off just traiding up to a larger trailer. Adding a third axle will greatly change the center of balance or make you move the other two axles. Then there is the question of can the frame and tongue handle the extra load? Three axle trailers are harder to turn and harder on tires.

tanker
06-25-2004, 12:55
I agree with Dave. Find a trailer with a greater capacity, and sell yours to someone who needs what you have. The 3rd axle would be rough on a short trailer, when backing, turning etc. And as Dave stated, what about the frame, coupler etc. You would need another equalizer on each side and matching, springs, brakes, and tires, and then what do you have?
If a trailer with more than one axle, is not level when towing, you will cause excessive wear on the axle that carries the most weight. Equalizer's are for terrain changes, but do not equalize weight when traveling. ;)

CareyWeber
06-26-2004, 16:47
Thanks guys I was just wondering about it in a long term project.

It has handled my scout great so far

I knew it would mean moving the other axles.

My labor is free, so thats what made interesting.

I hadn't thought that it would be harder to turn though.

If I were to trade it I would get a gooseneck trailer.

Carey

Wing'n'it
06-27-2004, 14:53
Carey,
What about the pin weight? How much do you normally carryon the pin? 15-20% of the total. That would put your cargo carrying capability at about 6200#.

Does that help with what you want to do?

Mike