PDA

View Full Version : license to pull small trailers too?

Rockin
06-25-2004, 12:42
While driving to lunch today I witnessed a really close call. Some idiot pulling a single axle landscaping trailer just about took out a whole string of cars. Couldn't see it very well but all of a sudden we saw brake lites and looking ahead, we could see the trailer sway from lane to lane about 10 times and then the driver got it back in control. A mile later, we drove past the trailer. They had boarded off the front half of the trailer for the mowers and the back half was filled with about a yard of topsoil. The tires were severely underinflated.

People worry about overloaded tow vehicles for TT's etc but this is the kind of problem that worries me.

tanker
06-25-2004, 12:48
Well Rockin, I agree with you. As you saw the trailer was overloaded in the rear, which was lifting up the tongue. This can cause sway problems in any type trailer, however most travel trailers are designed to be close on weight distribution, however they can still be loaded so that it will lighten the front enough to cause sway. Yes where were the cops that day? :rolleyes: The guy probably didn't have insurance either, or not enough to pay for what damage he would have caused. I'll bet the mower's weren't tied down either.
Lets hope some one learns from this guys mistake. ;)