PDA

View Full Version : new travel trailer user

Keith Richards
03-01-2004, 19:02
I am going to be sharing the bill with a friend to help him afford the payment on his2001 travel trailer,so me and my family can use it as well.I drive my construction trailer regularly though it only weighs about 3500 lbs.This is a 28 ft 7500 lb.trailer from what im told.Me, my wife, and son are excited about taking it on the road and I would just like to hear how a stock 3/4 ton hd truck handles this weight and do I need a swaybar.Just want to be safe on the road any advice is appreciated,thanks.

Merconvert
03-01-2004, 19:30
Hey Turbo

Yes I would get a sway bar, it will Help when you are passed or passing a Big Rig. Do you already have a slide in with the small ball on the receiver?? If so you can buy the sway bar,it will fit,all types,I think. Happy travels, Safe Travels.
Bob

tanker
03-02-2004, 01:45
Keith, on the size trailer you will be towing, the minimum would be a weight distributing hitch with the bars, and a friction sway bar. The best would be a dual cam weight distributing hitch which prevents (most) sway and keeps the complete rig level. An adjustable ball mount as well, if more than one tow vehicle is being used for the same trailer. Each tow vehicle has a different receiver height, and even 1" is enough to be different. The weight distributing hitch puts weight on the steer axle as well for a safe operation. You can buy these at most RV dealers, or used on e-bay. Don't take a chance without a proper set up, and put your family in danger. We are here to help you with any questions, so please feel free to ask. smile.gif

HowieE
03-02-2004, 11:49
If your truck is stock you MOST install and exhaust temperature guage before you start towing something of that size. It is all to easy to overload the engine and run the exhaust temperature up to a point were you are doing real damage to the engine.
When you set up the weigth distrubiting hitch make sure your front axle comes down about 60% of what the rear axle comes down. Review my comment on this post.
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000195

Keith Richards
03-02-2004, 19:08
Thanks for the reply's.I'm pretty sure Ive been using a weight distributing hitch which is what I thought came from the factory,am I wrong? I dont tow on the bumper if thats what I led you to beleive.I will definately look into the sway bars and the egt temp gauge you mentioned.Thanks for the tips guys.

tanker
03-03-2004, 02:18
Keith, I think you are referring to your receiver hitch, 2" square, this is where the adjustable ball mount will go, that has the attachments for the weight distributing bars, and or sway control. These do not come with a trailer, must be purchased as an extra. Sometimes a used trailer will be sold with them, but most dealers sell them as extras. smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
03-03-2004, 07:26
Keith,

Tanker is giving good advice.

The hitch platform mounted to your truck frame (factory installed) is a weight distributing hitch platform. However, it will not distribute any weight to the front wheels without the additional weight distributing hitch head and spring bars. The spring bars and hitch head produce a moment or torque about the ball coupling point. This moment transfers load to the front wheels of the tow vehicle through the hitch platform and vehicle frame. It also transfers load to the trailer axels through the trailer frame.

The adjustable head is also important, as Tanker mentioned. The goal is to have the truck and trailer sitting level when hitched up. This is accomplished through the proper ball height and proper spring bar pre-load. The adjustable hitch heads also allow you to tip the ball at an angle backward providing you with clearance between the spring bars and the trailer A-frame and more "tension" adjustment on the spring bars.

Without this equipment, the rear of the tow vehicle will sag under the load with the front of the trailer pointing downward. This removes weight from the front wheels reducing the steering force available making the rig unstable.

Keith Richards
03-04-2004, 11:56
Thanks alot for the advice on the weight distributing.I was unaware,and will definately look into this and learn more.Very surprisingly,my friend who owns this trailer tows with an older ford 250 van without any of the equipment mentioned ,but he stays within mainly local campgrounds,no long distances like I would like to do.I'll educate him when I learn more,thanks.

Heartbeat Hauler
03-04-2004, 13:08
You don't happen to play for the "Stones" do ya? ;)
JP

a5150nut
03-04-2004, 20:27
Keith,
Check RV.net and log into the forums there. All kinds of towing/trailering info from people who are doing it all the time. Lots of resources on parts, hitches, you name it. :eek: