PDA

View Full Version : weird symptom and question

catmandoo
07-29-2004, 19:37
just got a 94 sub about a month ago and been running great ,when i got it the waste gate solinoid was bad so replaced it and been running good but about a week ago i was pulling up a hill and about half way up it missed kinda just a hickup like it just missed one cylinder then just fine well day before yesterday it did it again,just wondering if anybody has experienced this and what it was.also my question pertains to the timing chain,had a weird vibration yesterday at a stop sign so checked the front pulley and sure enough the rubber had broke loose so went to the stealer today and got one,my god i think i got the last one on the planet for what they charged me,217 dollar.anyway pulled the timing chain cover beings i was down there and man lots of slop in the chain.my question is should i have the timing checked when i'm done,i marked the pump so it will go back in the same place but wondering how much the slack affects the timing,was thinking today as the chain and injectors wearout the timing retards and as the injectorsget weaker they should pop quicker basically advancing it.

Barry Nave
07-30-2004, 02:37
Slop
How much deflection side to side?
At this stage,how about a DSG gear?
They work and yes timing will change yet the vavle trane takes A beating :eek:

catmandoo
07-30-2004, 04:37
if i could get a caliper in there to measure i'd say 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch.i've definately seen worse,i guess my thinking is just by turning the crank back and forth from tight on the right side to tight on the left,if the balancer was on i'd say the slop would cover 10-12 degrees.i guess i'm just wondering how much this affects milage and power thru time

BERT
07-30-2004, 04:43
THE MISS IS THE OPS HAD THE SAME PROBLEM CHANGED THE SWITCH AND THE TRUCK RAN GRATE AS FAR AS THE CHAIN YOU ARE ALLREADY THERE MIGHT AS WELL DO IT AND BE DONE WITH IT

catmandoo
07-30-2004, 16:36
well the chain is basically a given as i have the balancer off anyway ,but man i know what GM stands for (Give me your Money)217 for the front pulley 120.00 for the timing chain and if i remember like almost 100 for the balancer.man for these prices i could rebuild a 350 gasser.thanks for the ops tip i'll change it too while she's down,

tom.mcinerney
07-30-2004, 17:48
Not to be PIA, but might want check LP output press. If NG after new OPS, renew LP; it might bring down OPS if it's shot.

catmandoo
07-30-2004, 18:29
tom just what is an LP.only thing i can think of is license plate,ha ha.and those were just changed,oh come to think of it i guess you could be refering to the lift pump.i might just change it too just for the heck of it.anyway i've had this sub for right at 1 month and put just over 4000 miles on it and it uses no oil to speak of and runs right at 20 mpg, and actually rides better then my 94 1/2 ton 4x4 gasser sub,i just wish i could coax a little more milage out of it but with the 4:10 gears i don't think thats gonna happen,so far i just love this thing,i've even had 2 offers for 2000 more then i paid for it,but it took me 2 years to find this one so i don't think i'm gonna be letting it go any time soon.

eracers999
07-30-2004, 23:44
Tom if i may ? LP=lift pump

tom.mcinerney
07-31-2004, 20:27
Thanks, Kent.

20 mpg + no oil consumption==well worth the maintenance!