PDA

View Full Version : SS Diesel Air Intake

jeffrey b
06-29-2005, 14:34
A little while back there was a lot of talk about the SS Diesel open air set up. Now that people have had time to try them how do they pan out? Do you get to much warm air from the engine compartment? Is there any contamination getting to the turbo inlet area? Just thought I would try to get some feedback after some ran them a while. Would they buy it over again?
Jeff

markrinker
06-29-2005, 14:35
q1) Working out fine

q2) Not sure - can't really measure this. 8 months of the year in Minnesota this is a non-issue, and 2 months of the year, a benefit.

q3) No turbo inlet contamination thus far. Have noticed the element stays cleaner and drier sucking underhood air vs. fender air. I had problems with road salt and brine clogging the old paper OEM filters, and even making it past them into the intake once saturated. Not good.

q4) Would buy again.

It sounds great, too - you can hear the turbo whistle much better smile.gif

[ 06-29-2005, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: Mark Rinker ]

garre1tt
06-29-2005, 22:01
Liked the one on my 95 truck so much I got a secound for the 97 Suburban.
Nothing but great things to say about it.
Michael D

jspringator
07-16-2005, 07:18
Just installed mine last night. Love it so far. The test will come when towing.

thebigc
07-16-2005, 13:23
I've had mine for a few months and here's one thing I'm not crazy about:

SS Diesel Air Induction System touching positive terminal on battery (http://client.webshots.com/photo/396566446/396569735zMZUxe#)

Anyone else experience this? So far, no problems but...

On the other hand, I now get all the turbo whine I could want!

BTW, my first post and as I'm sure everyone here knows this site is an awesome source of 6.5L info! Thanks!

Donny

jspringator
07-17-2005, 04:30
I converted to Optimas amd used the top mounts.

eracers999
07-18-2005, 05:46
For those that want a similar set up can make their own open air intake as i did on mine. I had 1 extra, 90deg 3in elbo left over from the intercooler install i did, (intakehoses.com) cost approx 9.00 $, went to a farm store and got a short 90 pvc with a short nipple on one end and slid it into the rubber elbo, cost 5.00 $ Used a toyota forklift air filter p/n 17743-u1100 (im trying to do better with this no, its not crossing to a usable no yet) slid it over the pvc for a nice tight seal up, then fixated a rubber tube to mount or secure the filter to. Works excellent and very cheap to construct. No pics for a while as my new laptop doesent have a floppy drive, wierd eah.

Kent

jimbo56
07-19-2005, 15:04
How do you live with the amount of noise that comes out of the air filter when it is exposed. If I leave my K+N filter exposed the noise level is umbearable when driving, paper filters are a little better. I am resigned to leaving the stock air box to alleviate the noise level.

Scooby
07-21-2005, 02:24
JIMBO- I never consider turbo whine "NOISE" ! smile.gif
Cant hear it with the windows up.

I have had no trouble with the filter assembly. It does sit REAL close to the battery terminals though. I loosened both clamps, and positioned it as far from the terminals as possible. I also put the red foam wrap around it to catch any big stuff, and installed the 'filter minder' gauge to monitor restriction. I would tend to OVERCLEAN the element, just cause it looked a little dirty!!

jimbo56
07-22-2005, 14:06
I would not call it turbo whine, it is just diesel engine noise that is very annoying. I have to say that it got better after about 150,000 miles, I now have 306,000 original miles on it. When I first got my 98 Burb I asked the dealer why it was so much like a Dodge/Ford as far as the engine noise is concerned, he said every once in a while you get one that makes more noise than the rest. I drove a 97 Burb that was half the noise this one produces. That is why I wanted the GM Diesel.

rjschoolcraft
07-22-2005, 14:19
Is the insulation blanket in place on the firewall?

Billman
07-23-2005, 04:17
I have found that TDC Offset plays a part in 'Diesel Engine Noise'.

More advanced = More noise.

Although the Gear Drive is not showing much difference between settings...

HANK1948
07-23-2005, 15:49
Yes, I have noticed that my 96 is noiser than my brothers 95 6.5 burb idleing also I wondered why that is, it must be the TDC offset

nvmtnlion
07-26-2005, 10:24
I got my SSDiesel intake kit today. I installed it after horsing with the CDR tube it went on easilly. I am towing a cable spool trailer today so I got real world before and after testing.

As a backyard test, I ran up the Mount Rose Highway (the road to lake tahoe) which is about a 5% climb. The outside air temp was 89 degrees on the runs and they were 20 minutes apart. EGT with stock air box was 910 at 2900 RPM. The second run with the new intake was 780 at 2900 RPM. Sorry I dont have a scanner so I could see IAT. Boost was the same at 10 PSI.

The SS intake seems to perform better than the stock airbox and should do even better after I port some cold front end air to it. When I do that, I will make sure I post pictures.

I have heard mention that some people have had a problem with the filter touching the positive battery cable but mine does not come anywhere near the positive terminal.

All in all, I am satisfied with the new intake. I really love the turbo whine you can hear now too.

jimbo56
08-02-2005, 17:31
Yes the engine blanket is in place, I even wrapped the air cleaner box in sound absorbing insulation, added more to the firewall, and even added some inside under the carpet. I think the biggest help came from having a large sheet of sound foam on top of the engine, that was only a test, but it sure did help a lot. I would like to find out more about this TDC issue. I do not have any idea on how to adjust the timing. Quite frankly I am leary of changing anything considering how reliable it has been so far.
I always carry a spare FSD Module just in case, I am on number 4 now.
Jim

C.K. Piquup
08-05-2005, 17:54
Diesel noise,"You gotta love it."I notice alot of difference in sound amongst the EFI trucks.Not intake,more like detonation pitch.