PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem!

John Zacharias
11-23-2004, 10:23
I seem to have a unique starting problem. My 6.5 TD has a power chip, 3"exhaust front to back - truck runs great, lots of power, excellent fuel mileage (20 mpg US gal). When cold truck always starts. When its hot I can start it if I do so within 10 min. of shutting it down or if I wait about 45 min. In between it will start only if I open the fuel filter or the front bleeder valva and drop out a bit of diesel, obviously this takes pressure off the line. I had a new PMD installed last winter in Texas and it solved the immediate problem of not starting at all but then this other problem surfaced or remained - I don't know. We discovered the " Open the valve" just by accident. Any help would be appreciated. I've been able to get along this way since last March and haven't been stranded yet. We're getting ready to go south again and it would be nice to have this problem solved.
Thanks,
John

charliepeterson
11-23-2004, 19:13
Maybe the fuel tank cap failed? I just had a weird one come in to the shop a few weeks ago. They said the truck kept running after the key was turned off. Of course I couldn't make this happen. Every thing looked good. Someone replaced the fuel cap with one from a gas engine truck. The truck hasn't been back yet.