PDA

View Full Version : Trailer rentals

Dihrdbowti
03-31-2005, 08:22
A friend of mine needed to move a project car from a shop to his house. It

VT_mountain_man
04-01-2005, 23:07
:D :D hope you feel better now you have a reply

you could have moved the VW without any problems. But the YAHOO factor got ya !
The Guy running the rental shop is just trying
to avoid a problem before someone gets hurt and trys to collect form the insurance company.

Dihrdbowti
04-02-2005, 06:32
Thanks MM I do feel better. :D

moondoggie
04-02-2005, 10:53
Good Day!

It'd be interesting to find out if this is insurance-driven. If so, maybe they have less trouble with 3/4 ton & up folks having wrecks when they tow, I sure don't know.

If I was you, I'd go to the local junkyard, er, automotive recycling center, & recycle a couple 2500 emblems from a wreck to your rig (or buy new ones from your local dealer). I bet there's not many rental yard folks that are aware that your rig was never sold as a 3/4 ton. ;) If there are, just pick up the rental trailer when they've got the high school kids on the counter.

Please be careful, though. After switching from my 82 (1/2 ton) to my 95 (3/4 ton) & doing brakes for the 1st time on the 95, I couldn't believe how much bigger the brakes are on the 3/4 ton. Just be careful about your brake controller & such when towing with your 1/2 ton.

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, # 5044

Dihrdbowti
04-07-2005, 19:48
Hi Brian I thought about that very thing. Getting the 2500 emblems. When towing without trailer brakes I try ano go no more than 3-3500lbs at the most. I do spend the time to dial in the brake controller when I hook up to my friends car trailer as the weight tends vary with whatever toy I am hauling at the time. Thanks for the tips and concern.

trbankii
04-08-2005, 03:50
Aww, heck! If you're going to go to the trouble of the 2500 emblems, might as well put 3500 emblems on there! :D

Only problem around here is that the state inspection would probably make note of that and then the vehicle registration fee would go up... :rolleyes:

Craig M
04-08-2005, 12:31
I saw a newer Tahoe with 2500 emblems on the side a few years ago. It had Mexican plates on it. Wondered at the time if that was a non USA option or why someone in Mexico would put 2500 emblems on a Tahoe. Taxes, registration or ?

DmaxMaverick
04-08-2005, 13:39
What is the pickup exchange rate in Mexico, anyway? May that 2500 was only a 1/2 ton, after the exchange was calculated.

Canada isn't so difficult. A Canadian 3500 would calculate out to about a 2100. Wouldn't that make it a 5/8 ton?

Sorry. Someone musta' put something in my coffee this morning.

Dihrdbowti
04-08-2005, 20:07
I think it would probably be safer to just leave it as is and start seriously considering an upgrade to a 3/4 ton.. I have thought about making the plunge into a D/A just haven't made up my mind yet. At least I know I would able to rent a trailer or whatever when needed. :D

Thanks guys for all your input and laughs.. Have a great weekend..

CleviteKid
04-10-2005, 15:34
Because of the condition, or lack thereof, of many of the roads in Central and South America, GM wisely builds lots of 3/4 ton trucks there that we would like here, like Blazers (in the olden days) Tahoes, and short-wheel-base short-bed pickups.

When I first saw a 3/4 ton short-bed pickup (that otherwise looked like my 1/2 ton shortbed) in Venezuela, I wanted to buy it and bring it back to the States.

Dr. Lee :cool:

trbankii
04-11-2005, 03:29
It is a shame that it seems the auto manufacturers only see the commuters and soccer moms as being the market for vehicles these days. You look at what they offer in other (foreign) markets and it gets kind of depressing at times. All the diesel versions in Europe, South America, South Africa, and Australia.

moondoggie
04-11-2005, 08:03
Good Day!

[i]

MartyB
04-12-2005, 05:21
You have not said what brakeing system the trailer has, re surge or electric. Many if not most rentals are surge, those trailers require teh tow rig to be slightly heavier than the trailer total, hence the requirement for a 3/4 ton of bigger tow rig. If the trailer has electric brakes, then IMHO the 3/4T requirement is not a good one.

I have run into this problem before, where the local rental yards with surge brakes want a minimum 3/4 ton to pull the double axel trailers.

Dihrdbowti
04-12-2005, 21:17
Brian of course I will do what I want. :D I don't consider myself a stupid driver as I have seen some other drivers towing to be. I usually have two trailers at my disposal. One a utility trailer rated about 3500 lbs. It doesn't have brakes but it might have the backing plate to add them. This is typically dump runs etc but I have loaded this out to 3500 lbs before but that was a 2 mile run from Home Depot with a load of brick. I don't have a problem driving driving 25-30 in a 50 mph zone either. I like to slow down and stop way ahead of when I need to. The other trailer is a car hauler with electric brakes. I wouldn't tow it without them. I do appreciate all your advice and well heeded warnings. I have been a member here for about a year now and have learned so much from all of you here. I will talk to my buddy about adding brakes to his utility trailer maybe I'll split the cost of adding them.

MartyB from what I could tell this particular yard didn't seem to have any brakes at all on these trailers. It was a 16' hauler that used a pintle setup. I guess when they say 3/4 ton they mean 3/4 ton.. lol :D That 3/4 d-max is looking better and better all the time just glad that they have some comfortable second row seating now...
Thanks all