PDA

View Full Version : DC Fridge won't work

Slugblaster
07-11-2004, 08:31
My 2001 Dometic fridge works great on propane but it wont work on the electricle setting. Any suggestions?

HowieE
07-11-2004, 09:01
First thing I would do is test the heater unit in the chimney. Disconnect the heater at the controlboard and test the heater of continuity. If it is open it needs replacing.
If the heater tests OK It is most likely the control board. You can reach Dometic Tech Service at 260 463 7799 they may give you some help but Dometic is a very poor company when it comes to customer support.

saywhat
07-11-2004, 09:02
My camper has a Norcold that can run on LP or 120 volt AC.In either mode there has to be a 12 volt DC source available in order for it to function.If there is no battery to supply the 12 volt DC the LP FUNCTION WILL NOT WORK.If the converter is not putting out 12 volt DC and the battery is not putting out 12 volt DC the 120 volt AC MODE WILL NOT WORK.Do not know about models that can run on 12 volt DC .There are fuses that can be checked,mine had a 12 volt 50 amp circuit breaker fuse go bad not letting power from battery in to system.

ropinfool
07-13-2004, 12:29
The topic was 12v DC fridge, do you have a 3 way? I thought they quit making them back in the 90's. Only 2 way, A/C or Propane. Just as someone mentioned though, you still need 12 vdc to operate the control board. Give us more info. John

DmaxMaverick
07-14-2004, 10:04
I too thought that Dometic stopped making 3-ways some time ago. Mine is a '95 (RM2807), and it is gas/AC. A couple years ago, I had some problems with it. Ended up replacing the AC element, thermocouple, reignitor, and a fuse. Currently, the ice maker doesn't work, but that's because I let the water line freeze last winter (not looking forward to that repair). Some of the recent Dometics have 5 year warranties. You may want to check that out. I found out the hard way about the "DC required" thing. The old systems didn't need DC, unless it was operating on DC. On the new ones, no DC means no fridge, no how.

If it is the board, you can get them for about $100 from most online suppliers. I use RV Parts Outlet (https://www.rvpartsoutlet.com) almost exclusively. Look at "Parts-Dometic Refrigerators" and they have several parts listed. Lots of other good stuff on their site and the service has been excellent. They are in Oregon, so shipping is fast to CA, usually 2-3 days to me.

Post your model # and I can pull up a diagram. If AC and gas work, but DC, if you have it, doesn't, it should be a simple fix. Also, list the steps you take to switch to DC, and the result.

CareyWeber
07-15-2004, 18:15
I have a 1999 Lance camper with a Dometic 3 way fridge.

I will flat kill the camper battery if I run it all day on 12v while driving. I is charging when I am driving too. The shop foreman where I bought the camper at said that they never work on 12v. I had some issues at first with it blowing out on propane while driving, but he made an adjustment and it worked great till this year (fridge cover blew off and had to replace it). I called Dometic they sent me a baffle kit, so we'll see how it works next time.

Has anyone got a 3 way fridge to work on 12v?

Carey

Wing'n'it
07-15-2004, 21:24
I echo what the others are saying about the need for 12VDC even when using 120VAC or propane for the fridge.
My first 5th wheel was an '89 Vacationeer that had a 3-way fridge. I thought it would be a great way to save propane, and safer, to use the 12VDC while moving. Problem was that the alternator on my '79 F250 wasn't up to the task of supplying all the amps the fridge required. And even if it was, the wiring (with it's associated voltage drop) was inadequate. If you do have a 3-way fridge, look at the 12VDC requirements (amps) and then check your alternator capacity and wiring to the coach. I'll bet that you'll find them not up to the task! Cheers! Mike

Flyboy
07-23-2004, 16:07
My 2903Classic HiLo works great on 12vlt. I installed a second alternator that is connected only to the trailer and it keeps the battery charged as well as running the refrigerator. DC is the perfered power source while traveling. With the top down, there is not much chimney effect. If running on propane, you are supposed to shut off all flames before pulling up to a fuel pump,less you might explode.

CareyWeber
07-23-2004, 19:11
Originally posted by Flyboy:
My 2903Classic HiLo works great on 12vlt. I installed a second alternator that is connected only to the trailer and it keeps the battery charged as well as running the refrigerator. DC is the perfered power source while traveling. With the top down, there is not much chimney effect. If running on propane, you are supposed to shut off all flames before pulling up to a fuel pump,less you might explode. Flyboy can you tell / show me how you have it wired?

Carey