PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about Exhaust Brakes

fire22dirver
11-16-2005, 04:37
I live in the Ohio Valley, lots of hills, and I am thinking about an exhaust brake. I tow a 10,000 dump trailer, and a 28' goose neck horse trailer. I drive a big truck with a Detroit series 60 and engine brake, and know what it can do. Although there is a slight engine size difference in these trucks. Do these brakes make a big difference in stopping, or are they not worth the money?
Thanks for any input

05 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax. My first diesel, stock, but only for now

96ccdd
11-16-2005, 07:21
Just my .02 but I would think that if you have the Allison tranny a exhaust break may not be needed because in tow mode the tranny takes care of that issue. I have both a 6.5 and a Max I tow with and would like to install one on the 6.5, I think the Allison does a great job. I tow a large 5vr and a enclosed car trailer and have never thought i need a exhaust break with the Allison tranny. Again just my .02

MTTwister
11-16-2005, 09:15
96ccdd - Seems to me that the automatic tranny in the 96 doesn't provide much transmittal of engine braking effect - least mine doesn't seem to. Wouldn't this have to be addressed in order for an exhaust brake to have any beneficial effect in these rigs? If so, "how to"? Thanks

96ccdd
11-16-2005, 16:55
If I understand in right if I was to install an exhaust break on my 96 it would act like a gas motor by provide compression breaking by holding exhaust gases back in the cyd.

tanker
11-17-2005, 00:48
I had a "BD" Exhaust brake on my 95 6.5 suburban, and it worked wonders for me. A TorQue-Loc is also required on the 4L80E transmission to prevent free wheeling.
On my 05 D-Max, I thought about it until I towed out to "The Diesel Page" Rendezvous' in Salt Lake City this past September. I doubt if I will install one on my new truck as the tow haul works so well. The steeper the grade and the heavier the load, the better it works.
I'm not saying that an exhaust brake would not be better, but many fellow members towed out through the Rockies and I don't remember any discussing an exhaust brake. We towed through "Rockie Mountain Park" at over 12,000 feet on some serious % grades that were both long and all "S" curves without an issue.
Just my own opinion. smile.gif

HowieE
11-17-2005, 05:53
No comment on the D max but regarding the 6.5 an exhaust brake is a real advantage while towing. As Tanker mentioned some form of torque locking of the 4L80 is required to make an exhaust brake work as the trans would normaly go into freewheeling when you let off the peddal. With a lock in place the convertor remains locked down to you set point, about 33 mph.

My 97 will hold starting road speed down hill up to a 5% grade without the use of the truck brakes. The exhaust brake is a real plus during a panic stop on the open road.

MTTwister
11-17-2005, 08:01
So HowieE - for the '96+, ( non "torque-Loc" compatible) would the Cheap TCC lockup, at over the designated speed (Say 30mph+ in 2nd) provide the lockup needed to utilize engine braking?

I'm not towing currently, and don't get out on the pass to test this theory, so I defer to those who may have experience. Thanks.

DA BIG ONE
11-18-2005, 02:19
Originally posted by MTTwister:
So HowieE - for the '96+, ( non "torque-Loc" compatible) would the Cheap TCC lockup, at over the designated speed (Say 30mph+ in 2nd) provide the lockup needed to utilize engine braking?

I'm not towing currently, and don't get out on the pass to test this theory, so I defer to those who may have experience. Thanks. I have wondered this too seems no one has the answer.

fire22dirver
11-18-2005, 08:41
Thanks for the great info, I'm thinking that I will save my money for an Edge insted.

05 2500 HD 6.6 Duramax. My first diesel, stock, but only for now

More Power
11-18-2005, 14:34
I've not towed at the max GCVWR, but I once rode in a GMC 3500 Duramax/Allison running at 27,000-lbs down a 6% grade (5K over max rating). The Allison grade-braking held the speed at just over 50-mph. Use of the truck/trailer service brakes weren't necessary.

Steeper and slower grades might create a need for an exhaust brake.

Jim

HowieE
11-20-2005, 13:19
MTTwister

It's not that there is no Torque Loc for the 97 and newer 4L80s it that they just don't work as advertised.

The 97 4L80 are controled by a newer computer that amount other things looks at the difference between the input and output shafts of the trans when in Drive and during the shift from 3rd to 4th. If the shaft speeds differ during this shift beyound design standards the computer sets an 0742 code which sets the line pressure at Limp Mode and produces very hard shifting until you stop the engine for 45 seconds or more.

I use the BD Torque Loc manualy, not having it on during the 3/4 shift, and have overcome this problem. While accelerating I leave the trans in 3rd. and turn the Loc on above 35 mph, at 55 mph I release the Loc shift into 4th and then reset the Loc. This keeps the computer from setting Limp Mode during the shift.

BozDMAX
11-22-2005, 04:06
Full-time RV'er and I tow at max GCVWR everytime I am hitched up. I can feel the grade braking work on the Allison, but would not go without my exhaust brake. '03 truck with 95K miles now and in trips across the Rockies and Appalacians the exhaust brake has really made a big difference in safety margins.

When I rotate tires and check the brake pads they look nearly brand new. We toured Death Valley a while back without the RV and I rarely had to touch the brakes on the downgrades because the Allison andthe exhaust brake working together held me to a safe speed even on some very steep hills.

I don't know if all of the available brakes out there are programmed to work with the Allison, but the Banks system certainly is. Install was pretty easy (did a Banks Exhaust at the same time) and I am pretty happy with it.

My recommendation is to monitor your driving where you drive 90% of the time. If you find yourself on the binders a lot, then investigate an exhaust brake.

John

MTTwister
11-22-2005, 08:56
HowieE I use the BD Torque Loc manualy, not having it on during the 3/4 shift, and have overcome this problem. While accelerating I leave the trans in 3rd. and turn the Loc on above 35 mph, at 55 mph I release the Loc shift into 4th and then reset the Loc. This keeps the computer from setting Limp Mode during the shift.

Well - We need input from RJ on how well his 3/4 switch is working, and combine that with the Torque-loc switch....