PDA

View Full Version : Power Converters

rjschoolcraft
07-12-2004, 19:52
I have had my trailer for five full years now. The 120 VAC to 12 VDC power converter delivered with the unit lasted almost exactly two years. It was manufactured by Todd Engineering. Fortunately, the trailer had a two year warranty and I was given a new one.

The second one lasted just under a year. Warranty replacement got me going again. Third one lasted just over a year. Went back to my RV dealer and found out that Todd Engineering had gone out of business due to too many warranty claims. Had to buy a new one from Iota Engineering.

The one from Iota (fourth overall) lasted almost exactly one year to the day. It quit me on the way back from Provincetown, MA Friday night. It had a two year warranty and my dealer gave me a new one today. I installed it earlier this evening and am back in business.

Any ideas why I'm chewing up power converters at about one per year?

I'm considering installing a 12 VDC circuit breaker in the output line. Do you think this will help?

Thanks in advnace!

Spindrift
07-13-2004, 06:14
RJ,

Just a thought, but you may have the campground owners to thank for your problems. My experience has been primarily related to marinas where I've experienced some pretty funky wiring set-ups. Toss in salt water and you have a recipe for disaster. Campground expansion/renovation can be done on a shoestring budget so I wonder if low and transient AC line voltage, which is a major
cause of converter/power supply failure, is at the root of your problems.

rjschoolcraft
07-13-2004, 08:05
Hadn't thought of that. That would make a purchase of one of those surge protector/line monitors a good idea. Don't you think?

HowieE
07-13-2004, 09:34
Install a little plugin AC voltmeter in your trailer and keep an eye on the campgroung electric supply. Generaly available at any camping trailer shop. Nothing will kill an AC compressor faster than low voltage and most likely the same goes for a convertor.
Another area to check, and one I suspect because of the number of failures you have had, is the location of your convertor. Is it well vented. Heat is also a killer on electrical parts IE our on going problems with the FSD.
The Todd I had had a problem of raising it's output voltage over time above 14.5 volts dc and would boil the batteries. This is not your problem but something to keep an eye on for general overall maintenance.

rjschoolcraft
07-13-2004, 10:41
The mounting location, as delivered, is in the dead space under the kitchen counter, between the oven and a stack of utinsel drawers. I wondered about air circulation also.

I'm thinking I might invest in one of those line conditioning/monitoring units that I have seen advertised.

JACK ROBERTS
07-17-2004, 11:11
Improper, AC power (too high or too low) could be a factor BUT most likely you are on the right track, HEAT is number one enemy of electonics. I have over 30 years as an electronics technician, I know what makes things fail. Number two, you have not mentioned the primary "specification" for your supply, DC current/amps/power rating. If the unit is under sized it will fail early. How many batteries, how large is the DC load for how long a period of time ? I'd give it more cool air. Jack smile.gif

rjschoolcraft
07-17-2004, 20:57
The original equipment was a Todd Engineering unit with 45 amp rating. The new one is a Iota Engineering DLS 55 with 55 amp rating.

I have been using two batteries.