PDA

View Full Version : hitch mounting

kilosparky
12-22-2005, 15:32
hello all,
new to this group. just traded dodge for chevy.
got a 06 3500, need to mount 5th wheel hitch in it.
anyone done this on a 06 yet?
got a husky 16k hitch
thanks
james

Jim Brzozowski
12-23-2005, 10:02
I'd suggest you take it back get your money back and buy a B&W 25K goose neck with the hide away ball and the 5th wheel adaptor that fits with it. Slick setup.

DmaxMaverick
12-23-2005, 10:50
Welcome to the Forums!

If you pulled the Husky hitch from the dodge, it, and the rails will fit your truck. All you need is the hardware kit for your truck. The kit is nothing more than the angles and bolts. Always use new grade 8 bolts, and torque them correctly. Any RV dealer that sells Husky should have, or be able to order it. It should mount the same, bolted to the frame, bolts passing through the bed. Your frame has a high-temp wax coating. I suggest leaving the wax after drilling, rather than removing it where the angles mount. The wax is an excellent corrosion barrier, and if the bolts are torqued properly, you won't have an issue with it. Many "dealer installs" scrape the wax off and mount the angles to bare metal. It is also recommended you do not weld to the frame. The bolts work well.

BozDMAX
12-27-2005, 10:58
Ditto on the B&W if it is not too late...

Jim Brzozowski
01-03-2006, 10:20
I put the B&W to the test doing some chariety hauling for my sister this past new years eve day. Loaded 17 big round bales of hay on my gooseneck and took them 30 miles of rolling hills. Trailer weights 7800 empty, the hay is between 1100 and 1250 per bale. If averaged at 1150 a bale thats 19950 plus the trailer makes it 27,350 lbs. Not one problem. Its all two lane highway out there and you should have seen the people getting out of the way seeing hay 12 ft. wide and 15 ft high coming at them at 65 mph. So I guess total GCVW was around 34.5 k. The B & W didn't complain at all nor did the stock Duramax. Push that tow/haul and it becomes a snarling beast, I don't have any idea how much weight it could really pull if it had to, but I feel good to know it has done everything I have asked it to do and no complaints what soever. Made another identical run that afternoon, I think a couple of those bales were extra oversized, but it did great again. You know what after that workout, it seems to run smoother and idle smoother too, guess sometimes you just gotta let them horses run.

Driveshaft
01-03-2006, 16:32
Every time I pull something heavy, mine SEEMS to run better. I know it DOES shift better for the next 100 miles or so. I guess that's the adaptive learning shifting the alli does.