PDA

View Full Version : Mattress replacement

Dawg
07-18-2004, 19:13
I'm going to replace the mattress in my trailer. Anyone with recommendations? Foam vs Spring? Where to get the best pricing?

My heavy 6'6" frame needs a good mattress. ;)

Spindrift
07-19-2004, 08:37
Our original mattress wasn't worth squat. We're now using a futon as the "box spring" and a 4" foam mattress over top. Slept like a baby the first time.

autocrosser
07-19-2004, 16:28
What I did was to go to a foam supplier and had them cut me a 4" foam topper for the crummy matress. I did the same for my bedroom matress also. the first one cost about $80 from a sewing material supplier and the second one about $30 from the folkd that got it in huge blocks and cut it with a giant rolling band saw.

I also put a brace in the camper from the floor up to the middle bed to stop the sagging in the middle. Works great now

tanker
07-24-2004, 18:13
We have been using a full size queen mattress, just like at home. Its longer than the RV type, plus its a lot more comfortable. smile.gif Measure to see if it will fit, if so, you should try any mattress outlet, or store. Cheaper than any RV mattress. ;)

Retired Mech. 1998
07-25-2004, 20:12
when it comes time to replace the mattress in mine i'm going to go airbed like we have at home cant beat it and it weights a lot less.

richp
07-26-2004, 04:11
We did what Tanker did and are really pleased with the change.

After one or two trips with the thin, stock mattress (which was a short queen size), I pulled it out and stored it in the basement (to go back in when we sell the trailer.) I lengthened the hinged base board for the mattress about 6" to accommodate a longer standard queen. Makes all the difference in the world.

For what it's worth.

Rich Phillips
Member #27

Dawg
07-27-2004, 13:52
I may just have to try the queen size myself. As stated above the OE is just short queen.

Thanks

tanker
07-28-2004, 01:32
Dawg, As Rich stated above, you will, or should add an extension on the end of the bed to support the extra 6" of mattress. I had our fabricator make an extension out of .125" aluminum, 15" x the plywood width, with a 1/2"flange and 45 degree corners which I bolted to the original plywood. We can sit on the end of the bed without any sagging. This all depends on the configuration of the travel trailers interior. We have a bedroom slide, so we needed to watch for clearance when in the closed position. Well worth the extra work for a good nights sleep.
;)

ropinfool
07-30-2004, 17:17
After sleeping in our camper the first time, out came the factory mattress, in went our mattress of our bed and we bought a new one for our bed. Much better sleeping after that. John

letsgo
08-03-2004, 07:19
Our Airstream trailer has the factory matress which is a multy layered multy density foam and is 8" in depth, The matress has not lost it's shape or comfort in 12 years of use.

good luck

Tinbender
08-08-2004, 20:42
Dawg,
I just purchased a short Queen from Simons in Kent. They were seconds and the price unbelievable. Email me for more info.
jenisrc at att dot net

Bob

Dawg
08-10-2004, 08:02
Tinbender, You should have email!!

Thanks, Jamie

cowboywildbill
08-10-2004, 16:45
We put one of those Temperpedic spaceage foam toppers on our stock queen. We bought it at Sam's Club. It is the best nights sleep ever.

Dawg
08-13-2004, 15:47
Tinbender,

Thanks, I purchased my mattress today. :D

Tinbender
08-13-2004, 19:55
Dawg,
Enjoy, Sleep well :D
We are heading back to Illinois next week, for about six weeks, I'm going to enjoy mine.

Bob