PDA

View Full Version : Max tow weight?

coxfmly
01-14-2006, 22:02
I have an 84 Sub with a 6.2/banks, T400/4:10 set up. I am looking into picking up a new trailer which is 1500+ lbs more than our current unit.
The new trailer is 4100 lbs. dry which will dress out at 5100 or so. I have no trouble pulling my old unit but don't want to push it. What weight trailer would be safe to pull? I'm not sure what the factory specs were for towing with my rig.
Every manufacturer says you can pull their rig with a 6 cyl mini van but I doubt that. I have been planning to install a G.V. unit which will help on those hills but the trailer might come first. I would like to hear what others are pulling (weight) with similar set up vehicles.
Thanks

tanker
01-15-2006, 02:42
You should be fine with 5100# trailer. A 2whl drive 95 suburban with a 6.5TD and a 4:10 axle will tow a max 8000lb. trailer. Just make sure you have a hitch the will distribute the weight properly, have it weighed at a truck stop scale to see how you weigh up per axle. Also brakes are required. Max tongue weight around 800-900 lbs. smile.gif

coxfmly
01-15-2006, 17:25
The trailer has 4 wheel with electric brakes. The mnfg. data says the tongue weight is 180 lbs. I have a class 3 hitch at this time and am looking into a weight dist system. The trailer is 23 ft. long. would you know if a Gear Vendor system would help when I tow? Thanks for the data

tanker
01-16-2006, 16:55
With a 4:10 axle ratio I think you are fine for towing. The "Gear Vendors" would help improve your mpg when not towing, with the then higher ratio of the overdrive. I don't think you would need to drop the ratio any lower for the weight you'll be towing.
Member Howie E. had a 6.2 1500 suburban with a Banks Turbo and a Gear Vendors, towing a 34' triaxle Airstream travel trailer, which he towed out to Missoula MT. for the first "Diesel Page" rendezvous without a problem. There are some hills between New Jersey and Missoula MT. :D Maybe Howie can chime in here with some hands on information on your type of rig. ;)

HowieE
01-22-2006, 06:59
It