PDA

View Full Version : BM tranny cooler

Coketruck
07-31-2004, 00:19
Hello ,
I have got a BM tranny cooler with fan for my Th700R4.
This cooler has enormous 1/2 outlet inlet threads,and i don,t know what to do to fit it with my existing cooling lines,or how to conect it to the th700.
Someone knows what thread are the 700 r4 cooling lines fiftings?
I think they are the same size than the brake lines fiftings,but i don,t know the exact size in inch.

HowieE
07-31-2004, 05:54
First deside if you want the cooler installed before or after the radiator or if you even want the radiator left in the circuit. I prefer to remove the transmission from the radiator altogeather for improved cooling. If you live in an area of very very cold winters you might want the radiator coils left in.
Once you have desided the location you want determine the flow of the lines by removing one line from the trans and having someone start the truck for a second. Note the direction of flow.
If you deside to remove the lines from the radiator altogeather, flow direction is not an issue, just slip hose over the ends of the tubing and secure with hose clamps and route it to your cooler location. You can buy 1/2 in bushings for the cooler and "Hose Barb Adapters" for the hose to bushing.
If you deside to leave the rdiator in the loop cut which ever trans. line will give you the flow path you want and slip your hose over the lines and secure with hose clamps. Thes lines only have about 12 lbs of pressure so leakage it not a problem.
When you cut the trans. line make sure you do it with a "Tubing Cutter" and not a saw to be sure you do not get any chips in the tubing that could work thier way back to the trans.

Stray Cat
08-10-2004, 20:24
I have a TH700R4 in both of my trucks...they are great if you keep them cool, but more sensitive to heat than TH350 or TH400. I have both externally cooled. It is pretty simple. I removed the engine Radiator from the circuit as it actually ran hotter with it in. Hayden makes a kit with 5/16 inch tubing, securing pieces to mount the cooler, and fittings. You take the fittings out of the radiator, connect the fittings from the kit to the fittings from the radiator, connect your hose to the fittings with hose-clamps, cut to length, and connect to barbed hose fittings on the cooler. You can get the barbed fittings for the cooler at most hardware stores in the plumbing section. You can get the Hayden installation kit at most auto parts stores. Total cost for all should be about $25-$30.

tanker
08-16-2004, 00:52
One should not tow or plow snow without a good transmission cooler. Two different fellows at work both recently burned up their transmissions. Why? :rolleyes: Both only had the factory radiator tank cooler, and both decided to tow a trailer with a car on it, in the summer heat. One was a Ford, and the other a Chev TH700. The transmissions shops that did the rebuild, both said the fluid was burnt, and the Ford even melted the front seal (less than 20,000 miles on the Ford Reman Trans.)
Plowing snow also generates extreme heat in the transmission, yes even in winter.
The torque converter generates a lot of heat when unlocked, almost 300 degrees at times.
I have stated before that I have added two additional coolers to mine, plus the two from GM. Keep my fluid changed (17quarts) each season, and I tow heavy, and I see very little debri in the pan at each change, never get a burnt color or odor in the fluid. Started using Amsoil snythetic a few years back.
Coolers and fluid changes are cheap insurance, compared to a transmission.