PDA

View Full Version : gooseneck or bumper pull

nathan71
04-15-2005, 07:46
I'm finally at the point where I can justify buying my own trailer. I still have access to light duty trailers for use with my trailblazer or 1/2 ton, but I have the need for a trailer that can safely haul another pickup or skid loader. I doubt that I will haul more than 150 miles one way (near central Ohio). Cost is a factor, as well as the loaded weight of the trailer. I have plans to upgrade the powertrain of my truck, but I don't want to get a trailer that I can't pull and I don't want to settle for a trailer that can't do what I may want it to do in the future. Any suggestions?

JeffsTowTruck
04-15-2005, 15:25
BACK WHEN I WAS LOOKING FOR A 5TH WHEEL THERE WAS NOT MUCH WITH A BUNK HOUSE.. I WAS TIRED OF MAKING UP THE KITCHEN TABLE AND WANTED MY KIDS TO HAVE THEIR ROOM AND ME IN MINE. WE WENT LOOKING FOR AN EASY TO TOW 5TH, BUT ENDED UP WITH A TRAVEL TRAILER, JUST BECAUSE IT FIT OUR NEEDS AT THE TIME. NOW I HAVE A GOLF CART THAT I PUT IN THE BED OF THE TRUCK AND PUT THE BIKES IN THERE TOO. SO THE BUMPER TRAILER HAS WORKED OUT GREAT FOR US. ALSO WITH THE DUAL WHEELS YOU DON'T REALLY KNOW IT IS THERE UNTIL YOU HIT A HILL.
YOU KINDA NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU NEED IN A TRAILER AND WHAT ACCESSORIES YOU HAVE AND GO FROM THERE.. I HAVE NEVER HAD A 5TH BUT HEAR THEY ARE VERY GOOD TO PULL.THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE IS MY LONG BED TRUCK AND 37 FEET BEHIND ME IS A LITTLE LONG SOMETIMES IN A TIGHT PLACE.. :cool:

crafty
04-18-2005, 10:50
Well, I just took the plunge and ordered a flatbed trailer two weeks ago. I opted for a gooseneck for two reasons, saftey and ease of pulling. The load I carry most of the time is 10,000 lbs (including trailer weight) so it pushes the stock hitch to its limit. A gooseneck covers that with room to spare. As for ease of pulling, sometimes I end up in the field trying to move the load around on wet ground. With a bumper pull the truck just spins and the trailer sinks. All the guys with gooseneck trailers get out on their own because the weight is more on the truck (front and back) instead of the back end.
My trailer of choice is a 20ft gooseneck, lowboy (or deck between) with no beavertail. This gives me an 81 inch deck width and only a 24 inch deck height. Easy to load and well balanced. It should work very well. Beleive it or not the cheapest price was from a US manufacturer, Corn Pro. ( I was surprised given the exchange on the dollar) It should be here in 4 or 5 weeks.
Any how, if you can give up the truck bed when you have the trailer on board I would go gooseneck. :D :D :D

nathan71
04-27-2005, 07:14
I located a good used flatbed gooseneck in my price range (and local) but it is older and I'm not sure I'll have enough clearance (my truck has a modest lift). What is the suggested clearance between the bedside rails and the trailer assuming I can keep it level?

MIKE WIENER
04-28-2005, 05:22
If I rebember corectly it sould be about 5". If you are going to travil off road I would go a little more. I have seen less but one step drive at the wrong angle and you know $$$.

MIKE