PDA

View Full Version : Max Trailer Weight for Comfortable tow?

rjwest
08-08-2004, 13:26
Have a 96 Dually with a few Mods,
( DownPipe, Boost Fooler, Catless 3 "/ Flowmaster)
( air bags and sway bar )

Presently I camp with a 3K Truck Camper.
Not an all day driver.

At 65+ years I get tired at 6 hours....

? will towing a trailer make the truck ride better. The " Bounce" of the TC gets old real quick.

? What would a max weight be for a trailer that would give me an easier " Pull " than the truck camper. Realy feel the Wind resistance. At 60MPH
and 90 degrees, just run out of power.

I was thinking about 23 Feet, 5000 lbs max loaded.
Would this require less power than the TC.

Cooperrw
08-08-2004, 18:06
I tow a three horse GN that is 5000lbs empty, add three 1200lbs horses and tack and it doesn't take long to get 9000lbs behind my truck. If you are looking for a good ride, manuverablity and stability the fith wheel set up is the way to go. :cool:

CareyWeber
08-09-2004, 02:35
Originally posted by rjwest:
Have a 96 Dually with a few Mods,
( DownPipe, Boost Fooler, Catless 3 "/ Flowmaster)
( air bags and sway bar )

Presently I camp with a 3K Truck Camper.
Not an all day driver.

At 65+ years I get tired at 6 hours....

? will towing a trailer make the truck ride better. The " Bounce" of the TC gets old real quick.

? What would a max weight be for a trailer that would give me an easier " Pull " than the truck camper. Realy feel the Wind resistance. At 60MPH
and 90 degrees, just run out of power.

I was thinking about 23 Feet, 5000 lbs max loaded.
Would this require less power than the TC. rjwest,

I have a Lance 9.5' camper so I know what you mean.

I think any travel trailer in the size you mentioned will pull easyier than the slide-in camper.

I pulled a Bigfoot 18' trailer with my 90 gasser and it was way easier than my Lance.

Carey

rjschoolcraft
08-09-2004, 02:54
One thing that folks seem to forget about is the wind resistance. If the trailer bucks as much wind as the truck camper, it may not be much better, especially if it is a fifth wheel. The only advantage is that it is a little farther back, so there is a less abrupt change of direction for the wind.

I towed the Pull-Off trailer to MP's house after the event for him. At 11,920 lb. it pulled easier at highway speed than my 9,000 lb. (loaded) travel trailer does... Much less drag!

Consider the over all height of the trailer vs. the truck camper and figure frontal area for a comparison. That should help with your decision.

BuffaloGuy
08-13-2004, 11:33
RJ's got it. Figure wind drag first. If you put a topper on and pull a bumper hitch you will hardly know it's there (up to about 10K).
Ken

rjwest
08-13-2004, 11:56
Thanks All, Looking for a used, 20-23 foot trailer
Save the T/C for hunting season only...